Embrace the pain

cassiopeiae

Newbie here - not sure how to add new post.
Need help with translating the following phrase: EMBRACE THE PAIN or EMBRACE PAIN
So far based on my online research in various translators the best one I could come up with is:
[shit picked up] or [more shit cleaned up].

I need someone to give me their expert feedback and advice on this, as it will go on my back as a tattoo. (I am recoving from depression and I need to do this.) Thanks for any help!

Last edited by a moderator:

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Hi,

You first posted the above on "the thread where you have to make a post every time you visit", but translation requests should be made in individual threads in the dedicated subforum, so I've moved the post for you.

The translations you've got are wrong. A correct one would be amplectere dolorem.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I saw that you had actually also created a thread. I've deleted it because since it had become redundant.

cassiopeiae

I saw that you had actually also created a thread. I've deleted it because since it had become redundant.
Sounds good, thank you, and I apologize for posting in the wrong spots.

Quick question about amplectere vs complectere. Based on the definitions I read for both verbs, it seems like amplectere is more the act of actually embracing something or someone, vs complectere which includes the figurative idea of embracing as in accepting... Am I completely off with this insight, or would amplectere still be the best way to express embracing as in accepting/welcoming?

Thank you for your help!

R. Seltza

Magnus Oculus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Complectere can refer to embracing someone in an affectionate way. It can also refer to embracing something intellectually (essentially comprehending/understanding something) rather than explicitly accepting something.

Amplectere also means embracing as in comprehending/understanding something, but it can also mean embracing something in one's heart or to love/cherish/favor something.

Amplectere is a good word to use here.