Post haec cives

john abshire

• Patronus

Post haec cives qui tyrannum timuerunt ex patria sua in civitatem nostram ducti sunt.
After these things the citizens who feared the tyrant were led out of their homeland (and) into our state.

post haec cives = after these citizens; yes?
so, at first, my translation was “After these citizens who feared the tyrant were led out of his homeland and into our state.”
And, the translation seems correct except for the translation becoming almost nonsensical.

To translate the phrase “after these things” vs “after these citizens” implies that post really means “afterwards”. Postea haec cives verses post haec cives.
Do you know that the translation is “After these things” just because it makes a complete sentence this way?

edits in bold red

Last edited:

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Haec doesn't agree with cives in any case. "After these citizens" would be post hos cives; "afterwards, these citizens..." would be post hi cives...

Haec means "these things", and post haec means "after these things".

"Out of his homeland" is wrong. It's "out of their homeland". The reflexive possessive sua refers to the subject. Since the tyrant isn't the subject, "his" would have been eius.

john abshire

• Patronus

Haec doesn't agree with cives in any case. "After these citizens" would be post hos cives; "afterwards, these citizens..." would be post hi cives...

Haec means "these things", and post haec means "after these things".

"Out of his homeland" is wrong. It's "out of their homeland". The reflexive possessive sua refers to the subject. Since the tyrant isn't the subject, "his" would have been eius.
I made the corrections in my post, but I am a little confused on “post hi cives” meaning “afterwards, these citizens”; why not postea? And how does post mean afterwards?

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Postea would be fine, but post is what we've got here; that's why I used that word. Post can be both a preposition meaning "after" and an adverb meaning "afterwards, later".