Present subjunctive

john abshire

• Patronus

Explain the syntax of the following words.
(The words and their answers are listed below)

9) veniat; present subjunctive; command (jussive)
10) discedant present subjunctive; command
Vivamus; present subjunctive; purpose
11) fascia to; present subjunctive; command
12) praestat; present indicative; statement of fact
Ametur; present subjunctive; purpose
Etc.

this is an exercise from chapter 23, specifically using the present subjunctive for command or purpose clauses. We are supposed to recognize what the verbs are used for judging only by the verb’s spelling. The verbs that are indicative I can understand are “statements of fact”. The subjunctive present tense are either command (let’s) verbs or purpose. But how can you tell if the subjunctive verbs are command or purpose?

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

The verbs can't denote purpose unless they're in a specific context. Were they initially in sentences? Can you post the entire exercise?

john abshire

• Patronus

The verbs can't denote purpose unless they're in a specific context. Were they initially in sentences? Can you post the entire exercise?
I did post the exercise entirely. That was the confusion, and you answered my question, “the verbs can’t denote purpose unless they are in a specific context.” That is what I thought, and hoped. Apparently, because we (the students) have only been introduced to two uses of the subjunctive, it has to be one or the other, command or purpose clauses. Maybe we are supposed to know because of the translation? I.e. veniat = “let him come…..” because it is more likely than “(in order to) come…” ?
And they left out ut.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Maybe we are supposed to know because of the translation? I.e. veniat = “let him come…..” because it is more likely than “(in order to) come…” ?
And they left out ut.
I guess so. In any case, "let him come" is how veniat on its own would usually be interpreted by default. As you say, a purpose clause would usually have ut.