Martini Cromeri ex vicesimo secundo et vicesimo tertio de origine & rebus gestis Polonorum nonnulli loci dubii

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

1634199358233.png

Igitur anno Christi 1447, Cazimirus insigni Lituanorum et Russorum comitatu stipatus, vicesimaquinta die Iunii, quemadmodum convenerat, venit Cracoviam. Insequenti die ritu solenni coronatus est. Tertia de more castellano Cracoviensi coronam, Palatino sceptrum, Posnaniensi vero palatino pomum, et Sendomiriensi gladium praeferentibus, in forum urbis ad recipiendum ab oppidanis iusiurandum descendit.

Any idea what in the hell this could be?

Bestiola

Nequissima

• Civis Illustris

• Sacerdos Isidis

The third day he was coronated in a Spanish manner, that is, he got the crown, sceptre, apple and the sword.

In Spain the coronation ceremony never assumed the fullness, or magnificence, that might have been expected. It was usually performed at Toledo, or in the church of St Jerome at Madrid, the king being anointed by the archbishop of Toledo. The royal ornaments were the sword, sceptre, crown of gold and the apple of gold, which the king himself assumed after the unction.

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

So I guess "as customary, on the third day etc..."?
I guess this was a medieval custom (bestowal of those four attributes) practiced all across Europe...

Bestiola

Nequissima

• Civis Illustris

• Sacerdos Isidis

So I guess "as customary, on the third day etc..."?
I guess this was a medieval custom (bestowal of those four attributes) practiced all across Europe...
Yeah, I think so. Apparently in Poland at that time they followed Spanish customs with regard to coronation.

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

1634215017148.png

Quamobrem pigrius is belli munera obibat, ac munitionibus sese tueri satis habebat, neque obsessae ab hostibus Cnipoviae subveniebat.

This is used passively here?

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

1634215172300.png

Rati autem, hostes occasioni se deesse non oportere, ad Fridelandiam eercitum admoverunt.

I know it's supposed to be an AcI, but seems like there's a double object here.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

View attachment 16670

Igitur anno Christi 1447, Cazimirus insigni Lituanorum et Russorum comitatu stipatus, vicesimaquinta die Iunii, quemadmodum convenerat, venit Cracoviam. Insequenti die ritu solenni coronatus est. Tertia de more castellano Cracoviensi coronam, Palatino sceptrum, Posnaniensi vero palatino pomum, et Sendomiriensi gladium praeferentibus, in forum urbis ad recipiendum ab oppidanis iusiurandum descendit.

Any idea what in the hell this could be?
in a Spanish manner
I think castellano means "castellan" rather than "Castilian". Castellano Cracoviensi = the castellan of Kraków. So de more just stands on its own, "according to custom".
View attachment 16674
Quamobrem pigrius is belli munera obibat, ac munitionibus sese tueri satis habebat, neque obsessae ab hostibus Cnipoviae subveniebat.

This is used passively here?
There's no reason to assume such an unusual thing when sese can simply be the object of tueri ("he considered it enough to protect himself with fortifications").
View attachment 16675

Rati autem, hostes occasioni se deesse non oportere, ad Fridelandiam eercitum admoverunt.

I know it's supposed to be an AcI, but seems like there's a double object here.
The comma should come after hostes.

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Thanks, that makes the meanings much clearer!
You're right about castellanus, it was a royal office (job).
btw, would you take tertia as tertia die?

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Ah, yes, ok, thanks!