Courage Above All

Scotia

Ok having taken advice with regards one thread per quote unless they are very similar could soemeone please assist with the translation of " Courage Above All "

Other sites (no translator used ) have it as two different ways ? Could you confirm which of them or whether both of them or neither of them are accurate ? If neither could the correct translation be provided ?

Animi Supra Omnes - Courage Above All

Virtus Apprime - Courage Above All

Thanks

Scotia

Apologies I should have added a third quote which is in the same vein of strength and courage. If this could be confirmed or corrected also it would be appreciated

Fortis et Liber - Strong and Free

Scotia

Adrian thanks again , promt reply !!! I am assuming that the two quotes I had for Courage Above All were totally inaccurate then ? Only Reason I ask is there seems to be times using Latin when there is more than one accurate phrase or way of saying something ? All very interesting ! Also does capitalisation matter ? Or would it mean the same with the first letter of each the only ones in Capital letters ?

Adrian

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Adrian thanks again , promt reply !!! I am assuming that the two quotes I had for Courage Above All were totally inaccurate then ? Only Reason I ask is there seems to be times using Latin when there is more than one accurate phrase or way of saying something ? All very interesting ! Also does capitalisation matter ? Or would it mean the same with the first letter of each the only ones in Capital letters ?
The capitalisation and "V" for "U" are not obligatory in modern times, here is the text written in low cases: audacia ante omnia. I'm afraight the first two translations you provided are wrong. Strong and free - Fortis et Liber is good, you can also use a suffix"-que" Fortis Liberque

Scotia

Adrian that is excellent thanks thankyou !! Can you explain to me what you mean by suffix "-que" and whether it changes the quotation in any way ? Also are you aware of any good sites that utilise Caligraphy to show any of these quotations in different styles ?
PS thanks again your assistance is appreciated.

Adrian

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Adrian that is excellent thanks thankyou !! Can you explain to me what you mean by suffix "-que" and whether it changes the quotation in any way ? Also are you aware of any good sites that utilise Caligraphy to show any of these quotations in different styles ?
PS thanks again your assistance is appreciated.
"et" is a conjunctor meaning "and"; suffix "-que" is added to the word (and it also means "and") therefore either "et" or "-que" stand for "and".

Simple example
Puer et Puella - a boy and a girl
Puer Puellaque - a boy and a girl
Fortis et Liber = Fortis Liberque (Strong and Free)

Aurifex

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Audacia certainly can be used in a good sense e.g. Sallust - audacia in bello, but I am used to seeing it used more often in a bad sense, or at least in association with bad characters:
Cicero, In Catilinam, I: quem ad finem sese effrenata iactabit audacia?
Audentia might be a safer choice, or, safer still, fortitudo.

Scotia

Aurifex does this mean that

Audentia ante Omnia or Fortitudo ante Omnia would be a better translation / representation of Courage Above All than Audacia ante Omnia ?
Adrian did say to wait for further discussion on the subject ?

Adrian

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Aurifex does this mean that

Audentia ante Omnia or Fortitudo ante Omnia would be a better translation / representation of Courage Above All than Audacia ante Omnia ?
Adrian did say to wait for further discussion on the subject ?
Scotia, the main question is, in what sense do you want to experess "Courage"
Hereunder are some links that may help you understand the problem:
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Latin-2145/Latin-19.htm
1-FORTITUDO (nominative case, 3rd.declension) means “strength” exactly in the mental or spiritual sense, i.e. ‘firmness’ as inner strength rather than physical, that is ‘moral robustness’, ‘fortitude’ shown in enduring or undertaking hardship.
Therefore I can use FORTITUDO in the following phrases e.g:
-“Deus mea est fortitudo”( God is my strength).
-“'Fortitudo est...scientia rerum perferendarum vel adfectio animi in patiendo ac perferendo…” (Fortitude is …strength in enduring or undertaking hardship..)

2-AUDACIA (nominative, 1st.declension) means “strength” as “boldness”, “intrepidity”, i.e. the quality of being audacious in a good sense.

For example: “Audacia in bello (intrepidity in war) or
“Una in audacia spes salutis” (the only one hope of salvation lies in audacity).

I must however point out that AUDACIA can mean also “strength” in a bad sense, i.e. “presumption”, “temerity”, “insolence”.

-3-ANIMUS (nominative, 2nd.declension) means “strength” as “Courage”, “ spirit”.

For example, “Bono animo esse “ (to be of good courage); “Satis animi” (sufficient courage).

Note however that ANIMUS in a general sense indicates “the rational soul in man” and then can have many meanings.
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Latin-2145/2009/6/English-Latin-translation-24.htm
Which Latin word is the best translation for courage (as in courage to overcome fear) [...]
the best Latin word for “courage” in the sense you say, i.e. “courage to overcome fear”, is “audacia”, as this term denotes just the quality of being fearless.

Anyway, I have to point out that sometimes “audacia” is used in a bad sense to indicate “temerity” /”insolence”, while its synonym “audentia” is used only in a good sense and then means always “courage to overcome fear”.

As for the Latin word for “morals”, as “principles of behaviour based on the concepts of right and wrong”, it is “honestas” as well as “mores”/ “morum disciplina” /”morum praecepta” and “ethica” just as “a set of principles of right conduct” /”a theory or a system of moral values”.

Finally, the Latin word "virtus" can mean “courage” as well as “bravery”, “valour”, “virtue”, according to the context.

Anyway “virtus” can mean also “strength”, but only if “strength” refers to “courage”, “bravery”, “valour”, not to “brute force”,”violence”, “physical strength” which in Latin translate as “vis”.
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Latin-2145/english-latin-phrase-translation.htm
-Courage to do whats right [...]
-“Courage to do what's right”
“AEQUA FACIENDI AUDACIA”
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Ancient-Languages-2210/latin-translation-10.htm
2-”Courage under fire “ =
“ Fortitudo (or ‘Audacia') inter incendia”.
Note that :‘courage' is FORTITUDO (AUDACIA); ‘under' is INTER; ‘fire' is INCENDIA.

3-”Honor, courage, brotherhood “ =
“Honor, Audacia (or ‘Fortitudo'),Fraternitas (or ‘Sodalitas') “.
Note that:‘honor' is HONOR; ‘courage' is AUDACIA
(FORTITUDO); ‘brotherhood' is FRATERNITAS (SODALITAS).

Scotia

Adrian thank you so much for all of the above !! To much choice and numerous meanings !! If anything I am now unsure as to what is the best translation. The sentiment I am trying to convey is that at my dads passing an indeed during his illness he had " Courage Above All " an inner strength which was also shown by my mother and family at the time.
Is it correct to assume that the "ante Omnia" part for "above all" is totally correct and therefore the first word for courage is the problem? It seems that from what you say it is possible to use all of the following

Virtus ante Omnia
Audacia ante Omnia
Audentia ante Omnia
Fortitudo ante Omnia

If the sentiment I have mentioned above clairifies what I am trying to say and would point to one in particular of the above could you or one of the senior members tell me which one best conveys these sentiments.
If all of the above are correct and could be used in this way I am happy to use either of them although I do like the Virtus Quote.
Thanks again for taking the time to assist, your assiatance is appreciated.

Adrian

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Adrian thank you so much for all of the above !! To much choice and numerous meanings !! If anything I am now unsure as to what is the best translation. The sentiment I am trying to convey is that at my dads passing an indeed during his illness he had " Courage Above All " an inner strength which was also shown by my mother and family at the time.
Is it correct to assume that the "ante Omnia" part for "above all" is totally correct and therefore the first word for courage is the problem? It seems that from what you say it is possible to use all of the following

Virtus ante Omnia
Audacia ante Omnia
Audentia ante Omnia
Fortitudo ante Omnia

If the sentiment I have mentioned above clairifies what I am trying to say and would point to one in particular of the above could you or one of the senior members tell me which one best conveys these sentiments.
If all of the above are correct and could be used in this way I am happy to use either of them although I do like the Virtus Quote.
Thanks again for taking the time to assist, your assiatance is appreciated.
First of all Please accept my sincere condolences on the passing of your father.

As given by me earlier, audacia referrs to "courage" as quality of being fearless (but it also can have negative meaning like impertinance or arrogance - depending on context).
Having in accout your latest post with information about the context, I would suggest either Fortitudo or Virtus
Fortitudo - bravery, valour, pchysical and mental strength, "moral robustness", "fortitude" shown in enduring or undertaking hardship
Virtus - literal meaning "Manhood"; valor, bravery, "virtus” can also mean “strength”, but only if “strength” refers to “courage”, “bravery”,

EDIT: Ante Omnia - literal meaning "before all" (in classical latin literal this is the closest reference to "above all")

Scotia

Adrian thank you very much for your sentiment and for your efforts re the translation which is clear, concise and also explains exactly how different words can be used in different context. After your full explanations I will settle on either Virtus ante Omnia or Fortitudo ante Omnia. Thanks again for your time and effort.