Herbarium of Glendale Community College

Alexius

Okay, so I got hired as a herbarium curator for the community college which I graduated from and I am in charge of setting up an herbarium there. I am in the process of designing a seal for the vouchers and I want to give them the option of a Latin based seal. Here is what I come up with, but I am not sure about the grammar and word order. I think I am pretty close though :no-clue:

HERBARIVM COLLEGII COMMVNIS GLENDALENSIS

scrabulista

Consul

• Consul

I was hoping to find an existing seal of this nature. Cambrinus -- a "Community College" in the USA is typically a 2-year institution beyond high school, while a "College" is a 4-year institution beyond high school. I had kicked around Communitatis instead of communis but it's not the Herbarium of the college of the community of Glendale.

Hmm....SUNY (State University of New York) still issues diplomas written in Latin, or at least they did until recently....I wonder how they describe an A.A. (Associate of Arts) or A.S. (Associate of Science)?

Adrian

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

IMHO Collegium Commune might work here (since there is no actual reference sensu stricto to latin name of any existing American "Community College" in US understanding of the term - at least I wasn't able to find it). I found two references to "Collegium Commune" as eductaional institution :
STELLARTIUS, Fundamina et Regulae omnium ordinum monasticorum et militarium, quibus asceticae religionis status a Christo institutus, ad quartum usque seculum producitur, et omnes ordinum Regulae postimodum conscriptae, promulgantur, p.19
Hans Henrich Klüver, Beschreibung des Hertzogthums Mechlenburg und dazu gehöriger Ländar [...], p.57

Cambrinus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Probably, except that Scientiae would more likely be Scientiarum (Naturalium).

Alexius

IMHO Collegium Commune might work here (since there is no actual reference sensu stricto to latin name of any existing American "Community College" in US understanding of the term - at least I wasn't able to find it). I found two references to "Collegium Commune" as eductaional institution :
STELLARTIUS, Fundamina et Regulae omnium ordinum monasticorum et militarium, quibus asceticae religionis status a Christo institutus, ad quartum usque seculum producitur, et omnes ordinum Regulae postimodum conscriptae, promulgantur, p.19
Hans Henrich Klüver, Beschreibung des Hertzogthums Mechlenburg und dazu gehöriger Ländar [...], p.57

Nice citation, Adrian :) Yeah, from what I figure, COMMVNE is still an adjective but in the neutered form, thus I believe both make sense, but is community masculine, feminine or neutered? :eek:

Adrian

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Nice citation, Adrian :) Yeah, from what I figure, COMMVNE is still an adjective but in the neutered form, thus I believe both make sense, but is community masculine, feminine or neutered? :eek:
Collegium Commune (nominative case) Collegii Comunii (genetive case of Collegium Commune).
OLD:
communis, communis, commune (neuter), adj
1. ordinary
2. related, having something in common
3. sociable, courteous obliging
4. belonging to community

Community as a noun:
communitas, communitatis, declension: 3, gender: Female
civitas, civitatis; declension: 3, gender: Female

Adrian

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I cannot find Associatus anywhere, but what about SOCIVS ARTIVM? Would this work?
According to Oxford Latin Dictionary 1982 (OLD)
socius, soci(i), n
declension: 2, gender: M
1. ally
2. associate, companion
Technically it does convey "Associate"
I chose Associatus in order to maintain the bond with of "Associate of Arts/Science" title. Moreover, according to the dictionary.com, it is derrived from it:
dictionary.com dixit:
Associate [...]
noun
7. a person who shares actively in anything as a business, enterprise, or undertaking; partner; colleague; fellow worker: He consulted with his associates before proceeding further.
8. a companion or comrade: my most intimate associates.
9. a confederate; an accomplice or ally: criminal associates.
10. anything usually accompanying or associated with another; an accompaniment or concomitant.
11. a person who is admitted to a subordinate degree of membership in an association or institution: an associate of the Royal Academy.
adjective
12. connected, joined, or related, especially as a companion or colleague; having equal or nearly equal responsibility: an associate partner.
13. having subordinate status; without full rights and privileges: an associate member.
14. allied; concomitant.
Origin:
1400–50; late Middle English < Latin associātus joined to, united with (past participle of associāre ), equivalent to as- as- + soci- ( see social) + -ātus -ate1 ; compare Anglo-French associer (v.), associé (noun)
EDIT:
Probably, except that Scientiae would more likely be Scientiarum (Naturalium).
Indeed, Associatus Scientiarum Naturalium does sound more appropriate(In case of Alexius I would even hasitate a term of "Scientiarum Biologicarum*/Botanicarum" or simply "Scientiae Bilogicae*; Bilologiae/Botanicae") , however most of (not all) the universities have divided their main academic titles (below doctorate) into two categories:
1) "of Arts" >> Artium
2) "of Science" >> Scientiae
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academic_degree
A Master of Science (Latin: Magister Scientiae; abbreviated M.Sc., MSc, M.Sci., M.Si., Sc.M., M.S., MSHS, MS, Mag., Mg., Mgr, S.M., or SM) is a postgraduate academic master's degree awarded by universities in many countries. The degree is typically studied for in the sciences including the social sciences.
A Master of Arts (M.A., MA, A.M., or AM) from the Latin Magister Artium, is a type of Master's degree awarded by universities in many countries. The M.A. is usually contrasted with the M.S. or M.Sc. (both Master of Science) degrees. Those admitted to the degree typically study English, history, geography, other of the humanities, philosophy, social sciences, fine arts or (at some universities) nursing or theology. The degree can be conferred in respect of passing examinations, in respect of research, or a combination of the two. The Master of Arts degree traces its origin to the teaching license, or Licentia docendi, for the University of Paris
*VIERAEA VOLUMEN 39 AÑO 2011, FOLIA SCIENTIARUM BILOGICARUM CANARIENSIUM; however some institutions use simply Scientiae Biologicae e.g. MZM - Acta Musei Moraviae, Scientiae biologicae)

Alexius

Okay, so if I adopted the Latin phrase collegium babakhanianum scientiarum naturalium for my college project, how would I name its herbarium; just add herbarium to the front of the sentence and change collegium to collegii?

Adrian

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Okay, so if I adopted the Latin phrase collegium babakhanianum scientiarum naturalium for my college project, how would I name its herbarium; just add herbarium to the front of the sentence and change collegium to collegii?
modern capitalisation: HERBARIUM COLLEGII BABAKHANIANI SCIENTIARUM NATURALIUM
classical roman capitalisation: HERBARIVM•COLLEGII•BABAKHANIANI•SCIENTIARVM•NATVRALIVM (IMO "K" does not correspond aesthetically to classical roman capitalisation, but this is just my opinion)

Adrian

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Thanks, Adrian. Why did you change BABAKHANIANUM to BABAKHANIANI?
Babahkani College = Collegium Babakhanianum (nominative case)
Herbarium of Babakhani College = Herbarium Collegii Babakhaniani (genitive case of Collegium Babakhaninanum)
Both Collegium and Babakhanianum are II declension words (in genitive singular they change their suffiex)
"Collegi" + "um" (stem + suffix)
Singular
Nominative - collegium
Genitive- collegii
Dative - collegio
Accusative - collegium
Vocative - collegium
Ablative - collegio

"Babakhanian"+ "um" (stem + suffix)
Babakhanianum
Nominative - Babakhanianum
Genitive- Babakhaniani
Dative - Babakhaniano
Accusative - Babakhanianum
Vocative - Babakhanianum
Ablative - Babakhaniano

Beginning Latin: Grammar, Based on F. Wheelock, An Introduction to Latin, Based on Ancient Authors (3rd Edition)
4. Cases. Latin has seven cases. Here are the major uses of each:

NOMINATIVE: Subject (the actor/doer in a sentence or clause); predicate nominative (noun/adjective).​
GENITIVE: Possession [translation = "of": "X's" (singular), "Xs'" (plural)].​
DATIVE: Indirect Object [translation = "to/for", NOT the directional "to/toward"!].​
ACCUSATIVE: Direct Object (of the main verb, infinitives and other verb forms); object of certain prepositions (ad, in, post, etc.), often showing "motion towards."​
ABLATIVE: Many "adverbial" uses (delimiting or modifying action of a sentence): means/instrument (with the use of what), manner (how), accompaniment (with whom), agent (by whom), separation (from where), and time (when). The ablative has no simple form corresponding to any one thing in English. It is useful to remember the most frequent translations of the ablative: "by, with, from, in, on, at."
VOCATIVE: Direct address, most often identical in form to the nominative.​
[LOCATIVE: Place where; used only with specific forms (see Chapter 37).]​

Alexius

Babahkani College = Collegium Babakhanianum (nominative case)
Herbarium of Babakhani College = Herbarium Collegii Babakhaniani (genitive case of Collegium Babakhaninanum)
Both Collegium and Babakhanianum are II declension words (in genitive singular they change their suffiex)
"Collegi" + "um" (stem + suffix)
Singular
Nominative - collegium
Genitive- collegii
Dative - collegio
Accusative - collegium
Vocative - collegium
Ablative - collegio

"Babakhanian"+ "um" (stem + suffix)
Babakhanianum
Nominative - Babakhanianum
Genitive- Babakhaniani
Dative - Babakhaniano
Accusative - Babakhanianum
Vocative - Babakhanianum
Ablative - Babakhaniano

Beginning Latin: Grammar, Based on F. Wheelock, An Introduction to Latin, Based on Ancient Authors (3rd Edition)

Adrian, How would you say state, as in a state university. Would CIVITAS work?

Alexius

I am getting pretty good at this now :D of course, I left out -tis :( but hey who is counting! Thanks, Adrian.