"sometimes" according to Wheelock's

tonyvella

• Patronus

The Horace sentence:
Neque imperia semper petenda sunt neque semper accipienda; etiam deponenda non numquam.
is translated in Wheelock's as:
Neither should powers always be sought, nor should they always be accepted; sometimes they should even be set aside.

What in the Latin version gives the "sometimes" ?

Thanks in advance.

Adrian

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

The Horace sentence:
Neque imperia semper petenda sunt neque semper accipienda; etiam deponenda non numquam.
is translated in Wheelock's as:
Neither should powers always be sought, nor should they always be accepted; sometimes they should even be set aside.

What in the Latin version gives the "sometimes" ?

Thanks in advance.
Tony, it is somewhat a conceptual translation of "sometimes". Believe me, latin is a language that would be difficult to understand in a "verbatim ac literatim" form.
non numquam - literally "not never" corresponding to "sometimes" as an adverb "sometimes" is described as "interdum" or "nonnumquam"/"nonnunquam"

tonyvella

• Patronus

Thanks Adrian, I had a feeling that the "not never" was what gave the "sometimes" meaning except that Wheelock's in most cases only uses expressions and words that have been encountered and explained in previous chapters; thus a gradual build-up. However, once in a while, Wheelock's does come up with something completely new and un-met-with that gets me wondering whether I missed something important earlier on .. and I take nothing foregranted, after all, in a past life I have seen "Temporary Death Certificate" officially translated as "Certificate of Temporary Death".

Adrian

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Thanks Adrian, I had a feeling that the "not never" was what gave the "sometimes" meaning except that Wheelock's in most cases only uses expressions and words that have been encountered and explained in previous chapters; thus a gradual build-up. However, once in a while, Wheelock's does come up with something completely new and un-met-with that gets me wondering whether I missed something important earlier on .. and I take nothing foregranted, after all, in a past life I have seen "Temporary Death Certificate" officially translated as "Certificate of Temporary Death".
No problem Tony. Glad to have been of any assistance to you. What can I say, this is Wheelock (personally I find it a very user-unfriendly study book, effective only as a material for guided formal course)
"Certificate of Temporary Death"... Hm, that is indeed very interesting (from medical standpoint of course;)).
Cura ut valeas Antoni!

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

Manus Correctrix

QVAE CORRIGIT

• Civis Illustris

I also tend to this version, since most Romance languages went by calqing "aliquando" in their respective forms. "nonnumquam" feels very ancient
That’s a weird criterion. Nonnumquam is Classical.

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris