Lingua latina per se illustrata - answers?

efilzeo

Salve to everybody, I am completely new in this site so I salute you all, and partially new to the Latin language. I "studied" it when I was at school but back then I was not interested in it so I learnt nothing. Right now I am looking at languages in a completely different way, and in fact in about a year I learnt English and Esperanto, both of them with the direct method (learn the grammar unconsciously or automatically if you prefer), that on I would really like to do the same with Latin.
Because of that I looked a bit around the net and I found a lot of people talking good about this book called "Lingua latina per se illustrata" by the professor Orberg, and I got it. I have to say I like its method and while I'm doing a lesson, a "capitulum", I feel like I'm acquiring rules naturally. Unfortunately for me during this period I have not the possibility to study it every day, so I forget lessons quietly fast. My question is this: are there somewhere the excercises corrected? There are so many desinens and I am not sure if I'm doing the "pensos" correctly, so I'd like to check my answers.

Otherwise, do you have something else to suggest to me? Do you think I did a good choice buying it, maybe you know something more efficient. I don't know, I'd just like to hear the opinion of someone who knows the matter better than me.

Ego ex horto venit, quia ego rosas carpit.

Aurifex

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Ego ex horto venit, quia ego rosas carpit.
What were you trying to say?
Was it "I came out of the garden because I had picked (i.e. finished picking) the roses"?
Don't be discouraged; we are well-meaning critics - mainly.

Avarus

Actually, I own the book as well. I got it as a Christmas present one year. As for an answers book, I have no clue. I don't really think there is one, in English anyway. I could be wrong, but I've never looked for one.

efilzeo

What were you trying to say?
Was it "I came out of the garden because I had picked (i.e. finished picking) the roses"?
Don't be discouraged; we are well-meaning critics - mainly.
I thought it means "I come from the kitchen garden, because I take roses.". I just like trying to say something in Latin, even if my vocabulary is completely elementry. :)

Actually, I own the book as well. I got it as a Christmas present one year. As for an answers book, I have no clue. I don't really think there is one, in English anyway. I could be wrong, but I've never looked for one.
Did you use it as your first book learning Latin? What's your opinion about it?

Quasus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Do you think I did a good choice buying it, maybe you know something more efficient.
Yes, it’s good. Certainly, nothing beats the old Assimil course by Desessard (in French and in Italian; qui quaerit in interrete repperit, at least the French one), but Ørberg is quite decent.

efilzeo

Yes, it’s good. Certainly, nothing beats the old Assimil course by Desessard (in French and in Italian; qui quaerit in interrete repperit, at least the French one), but Ørberg is quite decent.
Mmh, I used Assimil for English and I liked it, it could be a very good idea. I was a bit doubtful because the Assimil book for Esperanto is very bad, it has low quality dialogues and so on, then I thought it could have been the same for all languages which are not so used nowadays. But if you say it's good, I'll go for it. Tell me, am I right if I think that I can avoid audios in this case, given that Latin is a phonetical language?

Adrian

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Avarus, there is a Teacher's manual available : Lingua Latina Per Se Illustrata: Teachers' Materials & Answer Keys for Pars I & II
http://www.amazon.com/Lingua-Latina-Per-Illustrata-Materials/dp/1585100749
it contains most of the answers to both study books and Exercita Latin books to part I and part II

efilzeo,
Quasus pointed it out well, Assimil (with audio companion) is a good way of daily study. I would urge you to acquire the audio companion (despite obvious similarities between italian and latin); there are pronounciation distinctions that need to be memorized and paid attention to.
But there is another aspect of Assimil (you will propably start using "j" and macrons; not to mention you will fell in love with math and become a PhD in it);)

Quasus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Mmh, I used Assimil for English and I liked it, it could be a very good idea. I was a bit doubtful because the Assimil book for Esperanto is very bad, it has low quality dialogues and so on, then I thought it could have been the same for all languages which are not so used nowadays. But if you say it's good, I'll go for it. Tell me, am I right if I think that I can avoid audios in this case, given that Latin is a phonetical language?
It’s not just good, it’s awesome. I stress I mean the old Assimil, which is out of print, and you may have difficulties if you decide to obtain a paper copy.

As for the audio, I’d recommend you to use it as much as possible. Even though there’s much to be desired about the speakers’ pronunciation. The audio aims not at listening comprehension, but at obtaining automatical skills and memorising vocabulary ‘with ease’. On the other hand, you can make your own recordings and use them instead.

In all my experience of language learning I hardly ever managed to study day by day. I think you can safely treat the division into ‘weeks’ as purely conventional.

Godmy

Sīmia Illūstris

• Censor

OP is not conjugating the verbs, because he doesn't know yet he has to ;) Oerberg deliberately postpones the verb conjugations as long as it is possible (unless we coun't -t -nt and -tur and -ntur in all four conjugations). It's true that starting latinists (even those starting with Oerberg) are usually aware of it, but some of them don't... but no big deal, he learns it later - this approach also works.

efilzeo: There are no answers, but you can send them here, if you want somebody to check it. Anyway Oerberg does a fairly good job :thumb-up:.

Avarus

Avarus, there is a Teacher's manual available : Lingua Latina Per Se Illustrata: Teachers' Materials & Answer Keys for Pars I & II
it contains most of the answers to both study books and Exercita Latin books to part I and part II
Ah, thanks for that. I was unaware of it. I keep hearing about the Assimil book being out of print, but how do people get it then? And, it's not in English but French? Wouldn't that be a little difficult to try to learn Latin when you'd have to understand French or Italian as well. I'm assuming there is no English version...

Did you use it as your first book learning Latin? What's your opinion about it?
Actually, it was my second book. My first book was a student's book from 1919 I bought on eBay. My second book was Lingua Latina, and my third book was "The Little Prince" in Latin, with an English copy also. My favorite book is the Internet.

Adrian

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Ah, thanks for that. I was unaware of it. I keep hearing about the Assimil book being out of print, but how do people get it then? And, it's not in English but French? Wouldn't that be a little difficult to try to learn Latin when you'd have to understand French or Italian as well. I'm assuming there is no English version...
No problem Avarus. It is true that the original book by Desessard is no longer available in print, unfortunately there is also no english version of Latin sans peine (but it is widely available in the internet : type in the google bar "Latin Sans Peine + download" and "Latin Sans Peine + mp3" et voilà;))

Schatzl

efilzeo,
Quasus pointed it out well, Assimil (with audio companion) is a good way of daily study. I would urge you to acquire the audio companion (despite obvious similarities between italian and latin); there are pronounciation distinctions that need to be memorized and paid attention to.
But there is another aspect of Assimil (you will propably start using "j" and macrons; not to mention you will fell in love with math and become a PhD in it);)
Well said, I know next to nothing when it comes to Latin, but I have been using this book, and I'm getting close to knowing a few things so it's really helped.
(sorry for sounding like a commercial for LLSPI)

Godmy

Sīmia Illūstris

• Censor

(sorry for sounding like a commercial for LLSPI)
Hahaha.. not at all. :p I was using it too (primarily + sometimes just looking up some stuff on the internet). I even think that this book needs advertising.
(And still the main and probably only book used for Latin in the all-latin academy Vivarium Novum -> can be easily youtubed how they are using it).

Avarus

Hahaha.. not at all. :p I was using it too (primarily, sometimes just looking up stuff on the internet). I even think that this book needs advertising.
(And still the main and probably only book used for Latin in the all-latin academy Vivarium Novum -> can be easily youtubed how they are using it).
I noticed on YouTube that they're pronouncing Latin the Italian way. "Ancilla" was "Anchilla" So, do they not teach classical pronunciation?

Godmy

Sīmia Illūstris

• Censor

I noticed on YouTube that they're pronouncing Latin the Italian way. "Ancilla" was "Anchilla" So, do they not teach classical pronunciation?
They teach both, depends on the teacher - and you can speak both (or if there was by a chance a teacher who would prefer for example the medieval/central European pronunciation - but I quite doubt that), but the headmaster (seen in the videos) the legendary fluent latinist and graecist Luigi (Aloisius) Miraglia prefers the ecclesiastical pronunciation ;)
(although he can be seen in the videos usually providing even secondary pronunciation when they learn a new word like "caedere" <- this particular one can be heard from him to be pronounced even classically :) )

Edit: I've added a link to an interview with Luigi...

Quasus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

(I thought Luigi like Louis has to do with Ludovicus rather than with Aloisius. :-\)

efilzeo

Today I should receive the Assimil course by Desessard. I'll use both this and Lingua latina. Are you sure I can start a topic putting all my exercises in?

Adrian

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Today I should receive the Assimil course by Desessard. I'll use both this and Lingua latina. Are you sure I can start a topic putting all my exercises in?
Glad to hear it. Are you shure about studying them simultaneously?