Accademia Vivarium Novum

By Claudilla, in 'General Latin Chat (English)', Nov 22, 2015.

1. Callaina Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

"Best" by what standard? (That of Cicero? Donatus? Erasmus et al?)
  2. Godmy A Monkey

• Civis Illustris
    I think that by standards of "classical" Latin as used as a functional language by non-native speakers. Erasmus would be a great example I guess.

Of course, it's hard to say that somebody writes the best, but Luigi Miraglia is a pretty good [active] Latinist, I wouldn't dare to question that :p
    Last edited by Godmy, Nov 11, 2018
  3. pmp000 New Member

You are leaving ? I thought it was the beginning of the school year.
  4. Etaoin Shrdlu Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    OK, I've had to answer my own question here. Apparently, http://www.brooklyn.cuny.edu/web/ac...tute&utm_campaign=LatinGreekInstituteRedirect

My favourite Percy Grainger anecdote is the one about him throwing a ball over a house, running through the house and out the back, then catching the ball on the other side. It seems rather improbable, but if it's possible, then surely it could be duplicated.
  5. Iáson Cívis Illústris

• Civis Illustris
    Out of interest, do they speak with vowel lengths, in the manner of Wilfried Stroh? Do they teach you the vowel lengths at the Academy?
    Callaina and Terry S. like this.
  6. Godmy A Monkey

• Civis Illustris
    No, the only downside of the Academy is that save maybe a few young teachers (who occasionally try to compensate for it), the pronunciation issue is so loose in the academy that one would almost think they don't even consider it a discipline of the Latin language at all. Big mistake! On the other hand, when the pronunciation Nazis (as potentially myself : p) are gone or suppressed, it may lead to a better/more-relaxed atmosphere and possibly better overall fluency of everybody (as if when many people from different countries speak English each with his own accent and they don't mind much as long as they understand each other) - consider that sometimes there are visiting even like 10-12 years old children (boys) from some specialized schools in Europe or Russia (I know about one case of little Russian students from Sankt Petersburg) who can speak Latin quite fluently for communication, I don't suppose anybody is interrupting the little kids all the time to correct the vowel lengths etc. ; P

I'm pretty torn on this issue when it comes to the Academy. Otherwise, as I said, there is very very little I could criticize about both their Latin or their Latin teaching, from the little I know.

(Luigi Miraglia, while supremely speaking genius Latinist, is the adverse example in this issue...)
    Last edited by Godmy, Nov 12, 2018
    Iáson likes this.
  7. Godmy A Monkey

• Civis Illustris
    Last edited by Godmy, Nov 12, 2018
    Matthaeus likes this.
  8. Godmy A Monkey

• Civis Illustris
    Although that, if you ask me, is pretty impressive :)

(not sure if sufficient for pronunciation teaching alone, but impressive!)
  9. Iáson Cívis Illústris

• Civis Illustris
    I see the point. I think I have more objection regarding the vowel lengths than concerning, say, Italianate pronunciation of C or TI etc., though, simply because it's a matter of phonology, not just phonetics.

Obviously, I can see why one wouldn't want to discourage people by correcting them all the time, but I don't really see a difference between correcting vowel length and eg. inaccurate use of the subjunctive.