Adjective-forming suffixes

By And G, in 'Latin Beginners', Dec 14, 2016.

1. And G New Member

I think I understand the function of adjective-forming suffixes in principle. E.g. in the case of -ensis, you take a topographical noun, apply the -ensis (or -iensis) suffix, and you get an adjective that you can put after another noun. This is often done in taxonomy, e.g. the damselfly species Aciagrion paludensis, from Aciagrion and paludes. So far, so good. What I don't understand is how to do this when the topographical noun is accompanied by its own adjective, e.g. instead of paludes I have paludes boreales. I came up with these ideas:
    • Aciagrion paludensis boreales
    • Aciagrion paludensis borealis
    • Aciagrion paludensis borealensis
    • Aciagrion borealopaludensis
    These all look wrong or mean something else. In particular, Aciagrion paludensis borealis looks grammatically correct, but as far as I can tell it means "northern Aciagrion of the marshes" rather than "Aciagrion of the northern marshes". Aciagrion borealopaludensis also looks grammatically correct, but I'm pretty sure you can do this only if borealopaludesis an established term, which it isn't.

So how can I say "Aciagrion of the northern marshes" using the -ensis suffix?
  2. And G New Member

... Anyone?
  3. Dantius Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris
    I can't think of any way to do it with the -ensis. You could just do Aciagrion paludum borealium with the genitive case. If not, boreipaludensis or borealopaludensis seems like a good enough term. Scientific names very frequently use made-up words, so I don't see a problem with using a term that's not established.