Aeneid - Book II

By AoM, in 'Reading Latin', Jun 3, 2016.

1. AoM Rosa Caerula

• Civis Illustris
    Yeah, I don't entirely understand his reasoning of it being an unbalanced sentence. If the second si weren't there, sure. But his reading does make sense.
  2. Dantius Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris
    Servius says mens refers to the Trojans.
  3. AoM Rosa Caerula

• Civis Illustris
    Oh yeah, forgot to include Servius. Williams even more outnumbered.
  4. Bitmap Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    When I read it, I took laeva to go with both fata and mens and I understood mens to refer to the Trojans. It made more sense to me from the context since Troy was understood to have fallen both because of the gods' will and because of their own foolishness to drag in the horse. In fact, that's also what's represented in the Laocoon episode: First he warns his compatriots and no one listens to him (mens), then Pallas sends two serpents to kill him (interference by gods).

I wouldn't have a problem with the sentence being unbalanced; I actually thought that was the intention. There are a few other unbalanced elements in there like the indicative in impulerat vs. the subjunctives in the next verse and the sudden shift from 3rd person singular to the 2nd person in maneres (with arx being a vocative). [If I remember correctly, there's also the reading maneret, but maneres is the lectio difficilior and thus the more likely one]
    Apart from that, it's supposed to represent someone recounting the loss of his hometown and the narration reaches its peak in that exclamation, so there's even more reason for there to be some intentional kind of imbalance.
    Dantius likes this.
  5. AoM Rosa Caerula

• Civis Illustris
    That's a good point about the other imbalances present.

And for the last bit, editors seem to have their favorites:

- staret...maneres
    - staret...maneret
    - stares...maneret
    - stares...maneres
  6. AoM Rosa Caerula

• Civis Illustris
    tum vero manifesta fides, Danaumque patescunt
    insidiae. (309-10)

The truth of Aeneas's dream (via Hector) or the faith/honesty of the Greeks (via Sinon)?

Conington/Nettleship:

The thing demonstrated is the truth of the vision and its revelations. It matters little whether "manifesta" be taken as a predicate, or "fides" constructed with "patescunt."

Servius:

manifesta fides non somnii, ut quidam volunt, sed fraudis Graecorum: nam et hoc sequitur 'Danaumque patescunt insidiae'. quamvis alii hoc ad Laocoontis interitum, alii ad responsa Cassandrae applicent.

Williams:

fides: 'the proof', cf. Aen. 3.375; or perhaps with bitter sarcasm 'the trustworthiness of the Greeks', i.e. their perfidy.

Ganiban:

fides: "truth," "proof." As Aeneas sees the city under attack, the truth of Hector's words (289-95) becomes manifest.

--

I initially went with Williams' latter suggestion, but I can see it as referencing the apparent truth of Aeneas's vision.
  7. AoM Rosa Caerula

• Civis Illustris
    That seems to be all for book 2. Any thoughts on the above?