Aeneid - Book IX

By AoM, in 'Aeneid', Dec 1, 2018.

1. AoM nulli numeri

• Civis Illustris
    Been making my way through this book, and it's a real shame AP Latin students (and many readers of the Aeneid) don't read some of the passages here. This Nisus and Euryalus stuff really is great.

And this connection got me good. Dammit, Virgil!

hic demum collectis omnibus una / defuit (2.743-4)

nomenque Creusae / solum defuerit (9.297-8)
  2. Dantius Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris
    Yeah, Nisus and Euryalus is one of my favorite parts of the Aeneid. Also I find it interesting that iirc, Aeneas himself never makes an appearance in Book IX. It's indeed too bad that the AP Latin curriculum has no Latin text from the second half.
  3. AoM nulli numeri

• Civis Illustris
    tum super exanimum sese proiecit amicum
    confossus, placidaque ibi demum morte quievit. (444-5)

[IMG]
  4. AoM nulli numeri

• Civis Illustris
    et laevo infixa est alte lateri, abditaque intus (579)

Holy elisions.
    Dantius likes this.
  5. Dantius Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris
    Is there a reason, other than metri gratia?
  6. AoM nulli numeri

• Civis Illustris
    I don't have a copy of Hardie yet, so I don't know whether he has anything to say there.

But for me, they do a good job of stressing the fact that this guy's lung(s) just got punctured, so he's gasping for almost every breath. So more of an indication of what's to come in the very next line.
  7. AoM nulli numeri

• Civis Illustris
    et tunicae manicas...habent (616)

"And your tunics... have sleeves! :hysteric:"

You know that one really got Ascanius' blood boiling.
  8. AoM nulli numeri

• Civis Illustris
    sit satis, Aenide, telis impune Numanum
    oppetiisse tuis. (653-4)

First use of the verb since book 1.

___________O terque quaterque beati,
    quis ante ora patrum Troiae sub moenibus altis
    contigit oppetere! (94-6)

That father-son connection.
  9. AoM nulli numeri

• Civis Illustris
    I don't follow too many translations, but given the ease of access, I've occasionally been looking at Kline's.

And it's stuff like this that... urgh!

cavae...galeae are mentioned, which he translates as 'hollow helmets'. In the accompanying simile, cava is used again, this time referring to nubila.

And instead of keeping the parallel and translating it as 'hollow', he goes with 'cavernous'.

I imagine if I asked him about it, the much-invoked goddess (as Knox puts it) "Context" would inevitably come into play.