Aeneid - Book IX

By AoM, in 'Aeneid', Dec 1, 2018.

1. AoM nulli numeri

• Civis Illustris
    “T.’s words break off with the ejaculation en occupying the first syllable of 52.”

[IMG]
  2. AoM nulli numeri

• Civis Illustris
    aut tu, magne pater divum, miserere, tuoque
    invisum hoc detrude caput sub Tartara telo (495-6)

Don't know how viable it is, but it sounds good:

"There is perhaps also a hint of the other invisus 'unseen', taken proleptically: 'thrust me down to Tartarus [= Hades, Ἀ-īδης 'the unseen'] where I shall be unseen'."
    Bitmap likes this.
  3. AoM nulli numeri

• Civis Illustris
    et media adversi liquefacto tempora plumbo
    diffidit (588-9)

"the ancients believed that the friction of the air on a leaden bullet melted it"

[IMG]
    Bitmap and Dantius like this.
  4. Bitmap Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    I give it a like because I never cease to be amazed by how much thought some ancient poets put into the mere description of those brutal acts. Vergil somehow stands in the tradition of Ennius's (and even Homer's) way of describing all the gore that can be described while also trying not be too excessive in his descriptions (or in his poetry in general - it took him 12 books to do what Homer did in 48 :) )

My personal reading would have been a different one, though. I would have read liquefacto as a prolepsis: It alludes to the fact that the spear became wet after it had slit the temples (or the head for that matter) of the victim. I think this is a bit more likely because you find numerous allusions to weapons becoming wet once they've penetrated some part of the head (off the top of my head, I think something like that appears in the Euryalus & Nisus episode [spear] and in Camilla's aristeia [when she splits somebody's head with an axe]).

Also note how the hyperbata in that verse support the idea of splitting something (although the sentence structure is pretty normal for an hexameter).
  5. AoM nulli numeri

• Civis Illustris
    Yeah, I can see that. The synchysis literally stresses the fact that the lead is now breaking up his temples.
    And yup.

dum trepidant, it hasta Tago per tempus utrumque
    stridens traiectoque haesit tepefacta cerebro. (418-9)
  6. Bitmap Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    The other verses I had in mind (regarding Camilla) were from 11, 696-698, but it's not the weapon that gets wet there (I misremembered that), just the face (or what's left of it...)

tum validam perque arma viro perque ossa securim
    altior exsurgens oranti et multa precanti
    congeminat; vulnus calido rigat ora cerebro.
  7. AoM nulli numeri

• Civis Illustris
    Another (from book 9):

________________volat Itala cornus
    aera per tenerum stomachoque infixa sub altum
    pectus abit; reddit specus atri vulneris undam
    spumantem, et fixo ferrum in pulmone tepescit. (698-701)