1. Cinefactus Censor

• Censor
    I saw a program for a short summer course in Akkadian. Has anyone here studied it? Was it enjoyable? Difficult?
  2. Very enjoyable. (To Me.) *Depends on which type of Akkadian you want to learn for the difficulty.
    I've looked over the language. I only know about it because I was obsessed with Akkad, Sumer, and Kish for a year. (That was just last year...Elam to the East!)
    Being a Semitic language, it bears likeness to (although of course not mutually intelligible) Hebrew and Arabic, like the root system. Constant roots make words, like Arabic. It would probably be closer to Eblaite.
    Anyway.
    Three cases, nominative, genitive, accusative. ( There's a possible locative.)
    Surprisingly enough, the cases are really easy (at first).

It works like this: (This is from Hammurabi's Code.)

Awil-um šū šarrāq

Man ( Awil= man, um= nominative marker. su= he (is), the 3rd person masculine singular, and sarraq= "status absolutus."

*It actually lost it cases eventually. The most neutral dialect that I know of is the Northern Mesopotamian.

Do you know which dialect the course was based around?

Status Absolutus:
    In simple two-noun examples, the first noun (nomen regens) is cast in the phonetically abbreviated construct state, while the second—more generally, the final—noun (nomen rectum) occurs in its phonetically full form, known as the status absolutus.
  3. Cinefactus, when was the course available? Do you know what it consisted of?
  4. Cinefactus Censor

• Censor
    It is held every January for varying grades.
  5. Based on long texts, I assume. It wouldn't be too challenging to find a lot of Canadian text.
  6. Cinefactus Censor

• Censor
    And here was I thinking that Canadians spoke English and French.
  7. The first Canadians were Akkadian, I wager.

Screenshot (54).png

Behold. Akkadian is auto-corrected to Canadian.
    Iohannes Aurum likes this.
  8. Cinefactus Censor

• Censor
    I should have added an emoji ;)
  9. Have you ever studied Akkadian?
  10. Cinefactus Censor

• Censor
    not yet
    Issacus Divus likes this.
  11. Amen.
  12. Cinefactus Censor

• Censor
    No, it was only a week long.
  13. How is anyone supposed to retain a language this old in a week?
  14. Iohannes Aurum Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius
    Now we know why according to Civilization VI: Gathering Storm, Canada is sometimes located next to Sumeria (Canada debuted in this expansion pack).
    Issacus Divus likes this.
  15. Ioustinianós New Member

Studied it for a semester, it's quite fun and a good alternative to Sumerian (an isolate) since it opens the door quite easily to Hebrew and Arabic once you've got the syntax down, though sadly the cuneiform is itself isolate (in the sense that it's re-appropriated Sumerian cuneiform, in a situation very analogous to Japanese kanji).