Alawar puzzle: multi multa nemo omnia novit

By Anonymous, in 'General Latin Chat (English)', Sep 20, 2008.

1. Anonymous Guest

Hi,

My name is Debi and I am new to the Latin Forum. I'm looking for someone who can help me solve a Latin phrase puzzle. It came up in an online game I am playing.

The puzzle asks to form a famous Latin phrase using the following:

IT OM LTI MUL MU NE TA; MO NIA NOV

I don't know any Latin.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
  2. Imber Ranae Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    It's on the map, at the bottom.

"Many people know many things; nobody knows everything."

I'm not able to discover the provenance of this quote. It doesn't appear to be classical, or even particularly famous outside the game you're playing.
  3. Anonymous Guest

Puzzle - it om lti mul mu ta; mo ne nia nov

I have encountered a puzzle which requires arranging the following letter groups into a famous Latin phrase: it om lti mul mu ta; mo ne nia nov I think the first part is omnia muta; followed maybe by Nemo ? I would appreciate help with this.
  4. Cato Consularis

• Consularis
    Re: Please help with a puzzle

Multi multa; nemo omnia novit. - "Many people know a lot; no one knows everything." Not sure of the source...
  5. aleena New Member

it nov mut ta om nia ne mo mu lti

I am currently tied in knots over a puzzle I cannot solve, it lists parts of Latin words that must be combined to read a famous Latin phrase.
    I unfortunately have no real understanding of how to make words that I don't know out of partial words let alone turn it into a well known phrase. These are the pieces:

it nov mut ta om nia ne mo mu lti

Would any of you Latin experts have a moment and the interest in helping to solve this riddle before it drives me around the bend? I cannot tell you how grateful I would be for your time, consideration and efforts.

Thank you in advance
  6. Nikolaos schmikolaos

• Consul
    Re: Need help with a puzzle from the experts

My Internet connection went down as I was submitting the answer...

Anyway, here are the important parts - "nov" has to be followed by a vowel since the "V" is consonantal. So, one of the words is "novit". Omnia, nemo and multi are all essentially givens.

I believe that you meant "mul" instead of "mut", so that creates the sentence:

"Multi multa, nemo omnia novit" - "Many are knowledgeable, but no one knows everything".
  7. scrabulista Praetor

• Praetor
    I'm not sure how popular this game is, but I have combined the threads and given them a new title.