"Always moving forward, without fear"

By Neil H, in 'English to Latin Translation', Jul 26, 2013.

1. Matthaeus Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris
    Much better, PP! Except now for some reason the sound is coming from my left speaker only. :D
  2. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    ... Nothing works today. :D
  3. Matthaeus Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris
    Tout est fichu. :D
    Btw, what's a french version for "lol"?
  4. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    We have "mdr" = "mort de rire", but we use "lol" more. "Lol" is international I think.
  5. Matthaeus Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris
    Ah, I see.
  6. Benedictus Smithus Member

Forgive me if you guys discussed it already (I scanned the thread) wouldn't timor be the better version of fear? From my understanding metus refers to a rational fear (for example someone pointing a gun at you, you naturally would be fearful) compared to timor which is a subjective fear (so a fear of going into the world, talking to people, undertaking challenges which are part of life and growing up). If as the OP said it was something to say to his son then I doubt he is warning him of rational (objective fears) but instead warning him about the subjective fear that pose no real threat but are challenges.

I remember seeing this distinction somewhere a couple of times and a quick google gave me some potential sources to back up this idea.
  7. Godmy A Monkey

• Civis Illustris
    Niiice :)) Thanks...

it's pleasant to listen :p
  8. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Anyway timor was chosen in the end I think, but none of the dics I've consulted mentions such a difference. Where have you read it?
    Haha, thank you! ;)
  9. Aurifex Aedilis

• Aedilis
    Maybe your source was this.
    Pacis puella likes this.
  10. ricardo2433 New Member

Would it be logical to say that Always Move Forward would translate to Semper pergendum?
  11. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    For "Always move forward", you need an imperative: semper perge or semper progredere.