anulum inventum ad centuionem tulimus

By Jessica, in 'Latin to English Translation', Sep 26, 2006.

1. Jessica New Member

This is quite simple Latin, but being an adolescent GCSE student I'm still stuck. I will provide my (albeit feeble) translation attemps with the sentences.

1. anulum inventum ad centuionem tulimus.

The word I'm really stuck on here is tulimus. It's not in my Latin dictionary and I can't seem to find it online either. If anyone could provide it I would be very grateful.

Apart from that, I have:

After finding the ring we (I'm guessing brought/carried) it to the centurion.

2. statuae deorum, ex auro factae, ad templum portabantur.

Is this

The statue of the Gods, having been made from gold was carried to the temple? Or, in better English After/when the statue of the Gods had been made from gold, they carried it to the temple?

3. ecce! duos elephantos video per viam procedentes.

Look! I see two elephants proceeding through the street?

4. dux, milites hortatus, principia intravit.

The leader, having encouraged the soldiers entered the headquarters?
  2. Iynx Consularis

• Consularis
    1. Tulimus. My idea that a native English speaker should learn Latin verbs as the four principal parts has been debated fairly extensively in this forum. But I think your problem here well illustrates my point. To find Tulimus in your dictionary you need to seek among the f's!: fero, ferre, TULI, latus.
  3. Jessica New Member

Thank you very much! :)

I would never have managed to find that otherwise...
  4. Iynx Consularis

• Consularis
    2. To begin with, the word is statua, -ae, so statuae must be
    genitive singular, dative singular, or nominative plural (if you do not understand why I say this, please let me know and I will try to explain).
    Only the last choice makes any sense here. So we are talking about statues, PLURAL. Note that the verb also tells you that the subject must be plural: portabantur, not portabatur.

I think the rest of your translation is fine, but unnecessarily complicated.
    I would imitate the simplicity of the Latin with simple English constructions:

"The statues of the gods, made of gold, were carried to the temple".

A stickler might argue for "used to be carried" instead of "were carried", claiming that such a phrase would better carries the "durative" sense of the Latin imperfect; but I think that without more context we are safer with the simpler "were carried".
  5. Iynx Consularis

• Consularis
    3. I think you have this one exactly right.
  6. Iynx Consularis

• Consularis
    4. dux, milites hortatus, principia intravit.

I don't blame you at all for having difficulty with this one. I think your translation must be correct, but I confess that I can make very little sense out of milites hortatus. I would have expected an ablative absolute: militibus hortatis. Are you quite sure you've transcribed the Latin correctly?
  7. Cato Consularis

• Consularis
    Deponents always present a stumbling block with their active participles; hortor, -ari, -atus - "encourage", so hortatus = "encouraged" with milites as a direct object.
  8. Iynx Consularis

• Consularis
    Thanks, Cato.
  9. Cato Consularis

• Consularis
    The latest edition of the Traupmann dictionary is kind enough to include entries for irregular past tenses, yet another reason I highly recommend this cheap pocket dictionary for beginners. Still, Iynx's point is a good one: Take the time to learn all four principal parts when you learn a new verb (I didn't realize there had been a debate; this just seems common sense to me).

I recall in college reading a passage for homework that included the word novit, a word that had me stumped (It certainly wasn't in my dictionary). The next day when I asked, the teacher pointed out this is the past tense of nosco - "get to know, become familiar with", and I literally banged my head on the table in stupidity once he said it. And this was after studying Latin for several years!

The point I'm trying to make is that anyone can make mistakes in Latin; if you haven't completely butchered a translation at some point, you haven't tried. The past tense of fero has been causing students grief likely since Cicero, and will continue to do so, and this is just one of the many errors you will likely make. Don't give up; it's worth it in the end.