1. Mimble75 New Member

Hello,

I am hoping to have the phrase "anxious tears" translated into Latin for a poem I am writing about being diagnosed with (and receiving help for) anxiety as a mental health condition.

The context is a person who feels saturated by anxiety--and the emotional outbursts that can accompany anxiety--as if it were a sort of brine that their very self is drowning in.

I know Latin is gendered, but is there a way to make it as neutral as possible so that anyone who experiences anxiety can feel better able to relate? If not, I would like the translation to reflect the feminine as I am the writer, and I identify as female.

I do not have any source I've found that I can be sure is reliable or accurate, so any help from the community on this would be greatly appreciated.

If more context is needed, please let me know; I would be glad to provide it.

Thank you in advance!
  2. Issacus Divus Sunu Reordcyningas

• Civis Illustris
    Anxiae lacrimae.
  3. Issacus Divus Sunu Reordcyningas

• Civis Illustris
    The word for "tear" in Latin (lacrima) is feminine already.
  4. Mimble75 New Member

Wonderful! Thank you so much for the quick reply, and the explanation. I really appreciate this!
  5. Issacus Divus Sunu Reordcyningas

• Civis Illustris
    You're welcome. :)
    Mimble75 likes this.
  6. Issacus Divus Sunu Reordcyningas

• Civis Illustris
    Anxiae lacrimae is literally "anxious tears". I suppose you could make that more fancy, but it's fine as it is.
    Mimble75 likes this.
  7. Mimble75 New Member

I agree, it's perfect as is, and now I won't look like a twit when I start shopping this poem around.

I have also added your screen name here as a credit at the bottom of the poem for helping me out with the Latin!
  8. Issacus Divus Sunu Reordcyningas

• Civis Illustris

:eek:
    Mimble75 likes this.