Latin Mention Ave Imperator, Morituri Te Salutant

By J.M, in 'General Latin Chat (English)', Feb 12, 2019.

1. J.M Active Member

Greetings to all Latin D members,
    Today my father reminded me of a phrase in Latin roman times which stated: Ave Imperator, Morituri Te Salutant. So I would like to know the literal sense of the phrase. What I would like to know is if the nominative masculine plural Moritūri from this particular proverb refer to the salute of the gladiators in the arena of the coliseum before the fight to the emperor as an immortal being or referring to themselves in the verge of death.

Thank you,
    J.M
  2. Dantius Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris
    "hail, emperor; those who are about to die salute you". morituri refers to the gladiators.
    J.M likes this.
  3. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    The latter. Morituri conveys the imminence of (some of) the gladiators' death, not the gladiators' mortal nature in contrast to the emperor's supposed immortality. I don't think emperors were viewed as immortal (at least not physically, though they could be deified after death).
    J.M likes this.
  4. J.M Active Member

Great! Thank you both for the help!