Bare necessities

By ke62, in 'English to Latin Translation', Nov 19, 2010.

1. ke62 New Member

Hi, I'm currently making a miniature wardrobe for my niece in which to hang her teddy bear's clothes. I'd very much like to inscribe the pediment with a latin translation of 'Bare necessities', ie. resources which are just sufficient for ones needs. I appreciate, of course, that the 'Jungle Book' pun will almost certainly be lost in translation, so another possibility is a translation of 'Bear necessities', as in the resources required by a bear. Any help greatly appreciated.
  2. Adamas New Member

Perhaps non nisi necessaria? ("only necessary things / nothing but the necessary")
  3. ke62 New Member

Many thanks Adamas, I appreciate your time and effort.
  4. Imprecator Civis Illustris

That would call for nihil instead of non, which would make a fine translation. Nil nisi necesse is a shortened version.

Another way to render this is nil superflui, "no excess".
  5. ke62 New Member

Thank you Imprecator. Just to clarify, if I were to use the unshortened version would this be Nihil nisi necessaria or would necessaria take on a different ending? I would hate to pass my own ignorance on to the next generation. :oops:
  6. Imprecator Civis Illustris

Necessaria would be fine.
  7. Decimus Canus Civis Illustris

The other side of the pun, things necessary for bears, would be necessaria ursis.
  8. ke62 New Member

Thanks so much Decimus, and I love the Winnie the Pooh quote! Put me out of my misery - "You never can tell with bees" ? I so want to know the latin for "I'm so rumbly in my tumbly" now, but perhaps I'd better not push my luck!
  9. Decimus Canus Civis Illustris

Well done, yes that's what it means. It's rather elegantly put into Latin using a passive periphrastic. Translating it literally and clumsily back into English you would have, "Concerning bees it must always be doubted." It's from a translation by an extraordinary man, Alexander Lenard. You can read his account of it on-line in his book "The Valley of the Latin Bear".

I suspect "I'm so rumbly in my tumbly" is by Disney writers rather than A.A. Milne but if I'm wrong and you can find it in the original "Winnie the Pooh" I will find Lenard's Latin version of it for you. There's also a published Latin version of "The House at Pooh Corner" translated by Brian Staples rather than Lenard but I don't have a copy of that.

Edit: entered missing word.
  10. ke62 New Member

Demonstrates my knowledge of Winnie the Pooh rather than latin, I'm afraid!
    Correct. Incidentally, if you haven't come across Frederick C Crews 'The Pooh Perplex' I can thoroughly recommend it. A bitingly accurate parody of various styles of academic literary criticism. 'God bless mummy, I know that's right/ Wasn't it fun in the bath tonight' is given oedipal overtunes which I'm sure weren't intended by Mr Milne. :hysteric:
  11. Decimus Canus Civis Illustris

'Pooh Perplex' added to reading list. Thanks.
  12. Bitmap Civis Illustris

both is fine
  13. ke62 New Member

14. Eden New Member

Wonderful. I am sure your niece is a very happy girl :)
  15. Decimus Canus Civis Illustris

That is astonishingly good.