Bare necessities

By ke62, in 'English to Latin Translation', Nov 19, 2010.

1. ke62 New Member

Hi, I'm currently making a miniature wardrobe for my niece in which to hang her teddy bear's clothes. I'd very much like to inscribe the pediment with a latin translation of 'Bare necessities', ie. resources which are just sufficient for ones needs. I appreciate, of course, that the 'Jungle Book' pun will almost certainly be lost in translation, so another possibility is a translation of 'Bear necessities', as in the resources required by a bear. Any help greatly appreciated.
  2. Adamas New Member

Perhaps non nisi necessaria? ("only necessary things / nothing but the necessary")
  3. ke62 New Member

Many thanks Adamas, I appreciate your time and effort.
  4. Imprecator Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    That would call for nihil instead of non, which would make a fine translation. Nil nisi necesse is a shortened version.

Another way to render this is nil superflui, "no excess".
  5. ke62 New Member

Thank you Imprecator. Just to clarify, if I were to use the unshortened version would this be Nihil nisi necessaria or would necessaria take on a different ending? I would hate to pass my own ignorance on to the next generation. :oops:
  6. Imprecator Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Necessaria would be fine.
  7. Decimus Canus Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    The other side of the pun, things necessary for bears, would be necessaria ursis.
  8. ke62 New Member

Thanks so much Decimus, and I love the Winnie the Pooh quote! Put me out of my misery - "You never can tell with bees" ? I so want to know the latin for "I'm so rumbly in my tumbly" now, but perhaps I'd better not push my luck!
  9. Decimus Canus Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Well done, yes that's what it means. It's rather elegantly put into Latin using a passive periphrastic. Translating it literally and clumsily back into English you would have, "Concerning bees it must always be doubted." It's from a translation by an extraordinary man, Alexander Lenard. You can read his account of it on-line in his book "The Valley of the Latin Bear".

I suspect "I'm so rumbly in my tumbly" is by Disney writers rather than A.A. Milne but if I'm wrong and you can find it in the original "Winnie the Pooh" I will find Lenard's Latin version of it for you. There's also a published Latin version of "The House at Pooh Corner" translated by Brian Staples rather than Lenard but I don't have a copy of that.

Edit: entered missing word.
  10. ke62 New Member

Demonstrates my knowledge of Winnie the Pooh rather than latin, I'm afraid!
    Correct. Incidentally, if you haven't come across Frederick C Crews 'The Pooh Perplex' I can thoroughly recommend it. A bitingly accurate parody of various styles of academic literary criticism. 'God bless mummy, I know that's right/ Wasn't it fun in the bath tonight' is given oedipal overtunes which I'm sure weren't intended by Mr Milne. :hysteric:
  11. Decimus Canus Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    'Pooh Perplex' added to reading list. Thanks.
  12. Bitmap Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    both is fine
  13. ke62 New Member

14. Eden New Member

Wonderful. I am sure your niece is a very happy girl :)
  15. Decimus Canus Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    That is astonishingly good.