Be the manner of man your son believes you to be

By Abbadon9711, in 'English to Latin Translation', Aug 11, 2018 at 8:33 AM.

1. Abbadon9711 New Member

Something I write every day to be a good man and live with purpose
  2. Hemo Rusticus The Lizard King

• Civis Illustris
    Trying to do the grammar justice while keeping with the brevity of adage, I have this:
    Esto qualem credat esse natus tuus

You may also use es for esto, although because it looks exactly like the word 'you are', it could be misunderstood by anyone who reads Latin, if that matters.
  3. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Credat should be credit. The meaning is different: with credit it means "Be such as your son believes you to be"; with credat it means more like "Be such as your son may believe you to be", i.e. the sort of man that it's possible for your son to believe you to be, as opposed to something he just couldn't believe, or something like that.

I would also prefer to add talis vir to the first part, but if you really need the phrase to be as brief as possible then it still makes sense without it.