Bellum Catilinae 61

By legio septima, in 'Reading Latin', May 15, 2019.

1. legio septima Member

Hello everyone,
    this is my last inquiry about Conspiracy of Catiline
    In last chapter there is a piece that I am not sure of. I hope you can help me out

[1]Sed confectō proeliō, tum vērō cernerēs, quanta audācia quantaque animī vīs fuisset in exercitū Catilīnae. [2] nam ferē quem quisque vīvos pugnandō locum cēperat, eum āmissā animā corpore tegēbat*.

*almost each one fell in the exact spot where he fought. Correct?
  2. AoM nulli numeri

• Civis Illustris
    It's by no means literal, and it leaves out a number of words, but it gets the most basic sense.
  3. legio septima Member

I know it's rudimentary at best. #AoM, how would you translate it?
  4. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Last edited by Pacifica, May 15, 2019
  5. legio septima Member

#Pacifica. Thank you.
  6. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    As for a more elegant translation, I might suggest something like: "for almost each man, when his life had departed, covered with his body the selfsame spot which he had occupied in battle when alive."
  7. Dantius Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris
    Seems like the author of Viri Romae in the other thread (Llhomond, probably) used Florus' version of this sentence rather than Sallust's original. But Florus still had the corpore.
  8. legio septima Member

Pacifica, thank you for the elegant translation. Dantius, thank you for the information on Florus.