Benefits of Studying Latin

By Akela, in 'General Latin Chat (English)', Jul 21, 2010.

1. Quasus Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    If so, you should know that Latin is not the root of English. Latin has greatly influenced English but is not its ancestor. If we proceed with botanic metaphors, one could say that there is a Latin graft in English. :)
  2. Iohannes Aurum Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius
    In other words, English is a Germanic language with substantial influence from Latin and its descendant languages.
  3. Magistrah New Member

Vocabulary is important, but a good SAT prep class or word origin class can help you just as much. I think the main benefit to studying Classical Latin is that it helps students understand the way Indo European grammar works- so they become better and more thoughtful English speakers and writers. I see Latin as a tool- by dissecting and composing Latin sentences, you begin to understand things about our grammar that we just take for granted. It's biology for languages.
  4. TaylorS New Member

I'm a language geek (indeed, Linguistics is my major) and Latin is a good gateway to other archaic Indo-European languages like Classical Greek, Sanskrit, and Hittite.

I also have always had a strong interest in the late Republican period of Roman history.

And I think Latin is just simply a cool and beautiful language.
  5. Bestiola Speculatrix

• Praetor
    • Praeco
    It develops patience, precision and perseverance, all areas in which I'm lacking.

:innocent:
  6. dodaive New Member

I am still studying Latin and enjoying it. But as far as benefits it is too early to tell. For now, I study it just the the enjoyment of it, but I would like to tell you the benefits that I have experienced from studying Classical Chinese, because I believe the benefits of Latin are probably similar. Classical Chinese is very different then how it is spoken. It tends to capture innate meanings and put them in a logical order, rather than be embedded in the arbitrary habitual patterns of speech. I believe that classical Latin was also very different then the way people spoke at that time. So the benefit to sum it up is:

It gives a person an acute awareness of the relationship between words and their ability to anchor down innate meaning. The ability to look at innate meaning a priori, before attaching words to it. And consequently, following it up with choosing the most precise words to express it.
  7. Matthaeus Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris
    It makes you want to become king or queen 8)
  8. Akela dat affluenter

• Princeps Senatus
    Like the ones kicked out of Rome? :roll:
  9. Bestiola Speculatrix

• Praetor
    • Praeco
    Even though those Etruscans indubitably indebted Romans by draining marshes and building sewerage system, I reckon it pertains more to the rulers of medieval Europe.
  10. Iohannes Aurum Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius
    ... or of the current monarchs of Europe.
  11. Matthaeus Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris
    Yeah, definitely early medieval. :roll:
  12. Bestiola Speculatrix

• Praetor
    • Praeco
    Well, I was speaking on my own behalf.
  13. Matthaeus Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris
    IMO the best examples of kings date from the mediaeval period.
  14. It's the language of the holy ancestors, what other higher benefit could there be than praising them and keeping their mos? May the Dii Consentes protect their souls in the afterworld.
  15. MarcvsIX New Member

Hi, initial post for me — just beginning to explore Latin because:
    1. Desire to read Latin philosophy in the original.
    2. Retired: at last I can study what and only what I like.
    3. Need a better language to think in, fed up with the glorious mess of English I think in now :)
    —MarcvsIX
    Alethian likes this.
  16. Quasus Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    If you mean ancient philosophy, obviously Latin is not the best choice. ;)
  17. Symposion Member

For me as a researcher latin is the most important language. This because most of the sources to medieval history in Catholic Europe is originally written and published in latin.
  18. Quasus Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    [IMG]
  19. Avarus Active Member

Spoken Latin is beautiful when pronounced well, and the language has history. I love Latin for its history; it's just more fascinating than anything. I really wish it was a majority spoken language today rather than considered "dead" by the majority.
  20. Matthaeus Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris
    Nothing can be called dead which lives on in the minds of living people. 8)