Bibamus moriendum est

By Run Run, in 'Latin to English Translation', Dec 28, 2012.

1. Run Run New Member

'Bibamus moriendum est' ? This is question from a friend, what is the consistent translation and although this is not a great text what is the correct use of 'est'
  2. scrabulista Consul

• Consul
    Welcome to the forum, Run Run. Please put one request per thread. Thank you.
  3. Nikolaos schmikolaos

• Censor
    "Let us drink, [for we] shall die".

I think this is adapted from a biblical verse, although it has been pulled from context.

Here the est works with moriendum to mean "[we] must/shall die". It's a gerund of purpose, if that's the proper term.
  4. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    I don't think it's really purpose here. More "obligation". If we try to decorticate this the most literally possible: let us drink -bibamus- "to be died (implied "for us")" -moriendum- (it) is -est-.

"It is to be died" = we must die, we are (bound) to die, etc....

I don't know if you know about the gerundive in general, Run Run?
    Last edited by Pacis puella, Dec 28, 2012
  5. malleolus Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    It's another reading of Seneca the Elder's vivamus bibendum est. (Let us live - we must die)
  6. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    You mean "we must drink"... :) Unless you meant vivamus moriendum est.