Bonus fruor aeternus aevum in caelum

By stardust, in 'Latin to English Translation', May 3, 2019.

1. stardust New Member

Does anyone know what this phrase means please? It is on a crest of my ancient relative and he wrote the motto out himself on a piece of paper (sometime between 1736 and 1747). I would be grateful for your help. The phrase is

bonus bruor ae (joined together)t ernus ae (joined together) uum in cae (joined together) lum

I am thinking the phrase goes something like "good works on earth will be rewarded in Heaven" but I am not really sure about the translation.

Many thanks,
  2. Issacus Divus Well-Known Member

Can you write it more clearly?
    I can only discern in caelum= in heaven, and bonus=good.
  3. Dantius Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris
    The only word I can't discern is bruor. I think an image would help.
    There's no need to make a note that the æ is joined together. It doesn't change the meaning.
  4. Etaoin Shrdlu Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Bonus fruor aeternus aevum in caelum is a sentence from An Introduction to the Making of Latin,by John Clarke. From a brief look at it, I'm guessing that the student is given the Latin words on the right-hand side and then must turn them into a grammatical sentence: https://archive.org/details/anintroductiont31unkngoog/page/n120
    Issacus Divus, Bitmap and Dantius like this.
  5. Dantius Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris
    An example of a grammatical sentence with those words is boni fruuntur aeterno aevo in caelo.