book 7 caesars gallic war section 55-10

By follys, in 'De Bello Gallico', Apr 15, 2017.

1. follys New Member

Quam ad spem multum eos adiuvabat, quod Liger ex nivibus creverat, ut omnino vado non posse transiri videretur.Quam ad spem multum eos adiuvabat, quod Liger ex nivibus creverat, ut omnino vado non posse transiri videretur.

the sentence preceding this i have translated as:
    they themselves began to collect troops from adjoining regions, to station the garrison and guards at the shores of the liger, to display the cavalry in all places for the sake of striking fear, to see if they might be able to shut the romans off from the grain supply [or to drive them out of the province having been induced by want.]

literally:
    to which hope it helped them greatly that the liger became swollen from snow so that it seemed not able to be crossed by any ford....

i think it however means:
    with a view to acheiving this it helped them greatly that the liger became swollen from snow so that it seemed not able to be crossed by any ford.
    is quam ad spem an idiom meaning with a view to acheiving this?

I can't make any real sense out of the quam ad spem phrase.

thank you

david
  2. AoM Rosa Caerula

• Civis Illustris
    Yeah, it's specifying how it helped them, satisfying their spes.

'Regarding/for/etc. this hope'.
  3. follys New Member

yes,
    maybe the literal would make sense if I translated ad =for then it becomes:
    which for hope it helped them greatly, ...

namely they are hoping "and praying" that the swollen river will help get rid of the romans.

thank you

david
  4. John Kerpan New Member

Just a note on "quam ad spem":

The "Quam ad spem" should be re-arranged "ad quam spem", "for this hope", with the "quam" acting as a connecting relative (translated like "hanc" rather than "quam").

"The fact that the Liger had risen (so much) from the snow that it did not seem able to be crossed at any ford was aiding them a lot for this hope".