I have a vote and I'm voting to leave 2 vote(s) 8.3%
I have a vote and I'm undecided 0 vote(s) 0.0%
I have no vote, but would vote to remain 7 vote(s) 29.2%
I have no vote, but would vote to leave 6 vote(s) 25.0%
I have no vote, and don't know what I'd do 3 vote(s) 12.5%
I never participate in polls like this 1 vote(s) 4.2%
  1. Bitmap Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I did not want to misrepresent him. Let's say I would share some of his arguments, but I'd arrive at different conclusions.
  2. Hawkwood .

• Civis
    I don't think you did in honesty. It was more me reading between the lines.
  3. Bitmap Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Why is it that there is always a group of people who have to *stand* nearby the entrance? Do they not have any spare chairs in Westminster? Is that what you get for being late for the meeting?

britparl.jpg
    Godmy likes this.
  4. Hawkwood .

• Civis
    Lack of seating I'd imagine. Obviously you stand to catch the speaker's eye but that's a different query as to what you're asking. I was meant to attend a state opening the one year but the nobhead Dromey never got back to me after first emailing me to inform me I could. Never bothered since. I will though at some point.
  5. Iáson Cívis Illústris

• Civis Illustris
    It's so that they can rush in and join the brawl at the first opportunity.
    Bitmap likes this.
  6. Bitmap Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    O, remanete, precor, sapite et remanete, Britanni!
    vultisne Europen parte carere sua?

nam quasi corpus egens cerebro pedibusve manuve
    vobis ereptis virgo relicta iacet!

doctrix es populis belloque, Britannia, vindex:
    qui tibi tot debent linquere sola cupis.

quid faciam? mihi non nisi inania vota supersunt:
    nautica gens, sapias! O, remanete, precor!
    Godmy likes this.
  7. Dantius Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris
    I don't see how desere (imperative) fits in here. Did you mean deserere (infinitive, but wouldn't fit metrically)?
  8. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    I was wondering if it was some weird syncopated infinitive form that I'd never seen before...
  9. Bitmap Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    eos desere cupis qui ...

edit: ugh, I see the problem now ... there's a syllable missing :D

Weird, I proof-read it like 10 times and didn't notice that ... I'll change it to linquere
  10. Dantius Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris
    I was worried it would be much harder to fix than that. It's nice that there's another word that fits so easily.
  11. Etaoin Shrdlu Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Well, this is all very interesting. The champions of parliamentary sovereignty are having a collective meltdown about Parliament exercising that sovereignty and ruling out a no-deal Brexit. It's hard to believe that just a few years ago the UK enjoyed an enormous amount of respect, and these overgrown children have smashed it all to smithereens.
  12. Bitmap Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    So a no-deal Brexit is off the table now ... but the Parliament doesn't want to leave with the proposed deal either ... I'd imagine a parliamentary vote to remain would also fail to obtain a majority of votes ...
    It is still unclear what the British (or their parliament for that matter) actually want.
  13. Etaoin Shrdlu Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Think of it as a large dysfunctional family, with a severely damaged child throwing the mother of all tantrums, as adults with problems of their own argue angrily about what to do about the mess, and for that matter the brat.
  14. Hawkwood .

• Civis
    A no-deal was always going to be voted down in parliament. We knew what the british wanted after the referendum but apart from the ERG, westminster have no intentions of pushing an exit through. Delay and derail are the order of the day.
  15. Bitmap Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Meanwhile, Germany has gerxited from the Champions League ... at the hands of the British :p
    Pacifica likes this.
  16. Iáson Cívis Illústris

• Civis Illustris
    I think it's fairly clear, given they held a referendum on the matter: 37.5% of voters want to leave; 34.7% of voters want to stay in the EU; 27.8% of voters don't care, or weren't sure. Two years ago, anyway.
    As for the parliament, I suspect that a larger proportion wanted to stay.

What's at issue is not so much what people believe, but rather the fact that they believe radically different things, that no side can overcome the other, and that no-one is happy to compromise. And so the debate will continue, perhaps indefinitely.
  17. Etaoin Shrdlu Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Despite what was said above, it's mendacious to say that 'we knew what the {B}ritish wanted after the referendum'. Not all who voted leave contemplating leaving without a deal; only the hardcore gammon are pushing for it now. In other words, the most mindless and gullible, to a great extent unemployable, whose main motivation in life is resentment. They feel they have little to lose, so why not smash things up? At least, they imagine, it'll be sticking two fingers up to the liberal elite they think is the reason for their failed lives, and maybe there'll be a chance to bash a few wogs at the same time.
  18. Hawkwood .

• Civis
    But it hasn't happened in other elections has it? Ask yourself why. In fact the only time I know of this type of underhandedness taking place is around referendums regarding the EU. Ireland and Holland off the top of my head were asked "to think again" after EU referendums didn't go the EU's way.

If Cameron had triggered Article 50, which was supposed to have happened, then all these manufactured 'issues' you speak of would not have had the time to take hold. Instead he delayed and purposely allowed federalist momentum to gain pace. Then we were given a remainer PM just to make sure.

It's beyond a joke and I think it's time to just allow these mendacious bas##ds in office, the biased mainstream media and ideologues around the country to have it their way and simply remain in the EU.
    Last edited by Hawkwood, Mar 15, 2019
  19. Hawkwood .

• Civis

Pouring_champagne.jpg
  20. Etaoin Shrdlu Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Ah yes, thanks for the reminder: they're often under the influence of drink or drugs. But is that really an excuse for being a complete plonker?