Carpe diem, quam minimum credul postera

By zinebine33, in 'Latin to English Translation', Apr 25, 2012.

1. zinebine33 New Member

hey guys. I would be very happy if I get some help translating this sentence. I'm thinking about having this as a tattoo but I honestly can't find a proper translation of it (and that would be embarassing to me). Seemingly as people here are very promising in the language I would love to have some help.
    Carpe diem - seize the day.
    quam minimum credula - with as little trust as possible?
    postero - future?
    So my translation would be something like: Seize the day, have little trust (as possible) in the future?
    Is this correct?
    thanks /Luka
  2. Bestiola Praetor

• Praetor
    • Praeco
    Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero - indeed means Seize the day, believing as little as possible in tomorrow.

(Horace: Odes 1, 11)
  3. Nikolaos schmikolaos

• Censor
    One might argue that "seize" is a mistranslation.
  4. Bestiola Praetor

• Praetor
    • Praeco
    OK then - "enjoy/use/make use of/(pluck) the day...."
  5. Matthaeus Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris
    yeah, more like "pluck"
  6. Manus Correctrix QVAE CORRIGIT

• Civis Illustris
    And bear in mind that it features feminine agreement, so it’s something like:

‘Pluck the day [like a flower], woman, trusting as little as possible in the future.’
    Brunhilda likes this.
  7. Nikolaos schmikolaos

• Censor
    Ah, I always thought that was an imperative of some *credulare. I can't scan anything other than heroic or elegiac verse at this point, so the scansion didn't clarify that for me.
  8. Godmy Sun monkey

• Civis Illustris
    My personal belief is that "credula" is neuter nom. plural just like omnia: minime credula postero = minime credulae res postero [die] [erunt] + no affection to the masculinity of the day, which in "postero" (what I believe to be connected) stays masculine.
  9. Manus Correctrix QVAE CORRIGIT

• Civis Illustris
    You two are weird. ;)
  10. Infacundus Magister Bibendi

• Civis Illustris
    It's definitely the feminine singular. The person addressed is, after all, a woman.
  11. Bestiola Praetor

• Praetor
    • Praeco
    Indeed so, Leuconoe.
  12. Godmy Sun monkey

• Civis Illustris
    If that is so (which is quite good explanation too) then my problem probably lies (or lied) in understanding of "credula" which I thought to be a sort of variant of "credibilis", but as you denote: it's is more of "credens"... then indeed "quam minimum [tu] credula sis" with "minimum" which might even be an object to "credula" (I thought before that it is just a variant of "minime", but it could be both) and "postero" either temporal ablativ or dative to "credula" ...
  13. Bestiola Praetor

• Praetor
    • Praeco
  14. Manus Correctrix QVAE CORRIGIT

• Civis Illustris
    We say ‘credulous’, with almost exactly the same meaning as credulus, in English, so I don’t see why it’s so tricky!

Yes, it is adverbial, and thus equivalent to minime.

e.g. Cicero’s præmia apud me minimum valent and si non decore, at quam minime dedecore facere possimus, in which the two could be interchanged without much trouble, I imagine.