Collect for Trinity XXI

By Patricius, in 'Religious Latin Phrases', Nov 1, 2018.

1. Patricius New Member

If, as is likely, this is a stupid question, I apologize in advance.

"Largire, quaesumus, Domine, fidelibus tuis indulgentiam placatus et pacem...."

The English version is "Grant, we beseech thee, merciful Lord, to thy faithful people pardon and peace...."

What is the function of "placatus" here? If it is modifying "Domine" and translating "merciful," why does it not have to be in vocative form? And for that matter is "placatus" a reasonable translation for "merciful" (or "merciful" for "placatus," since I'm not sure whether the English or Latin Prayer Book came first)?
  2. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Placatus is in the nominative because it agrees with the implied subject of largire rather than with the vocative. The meaning is literally "Having been placated, grant, O Lord, to thy faithful..." He is to grant forgiveness and peace (while/after) having been placated: placatus goes with the verb and agrees with the subject thereof. Largire, Domine placate..., on the other hand, would have meant literally "Grant, O placated Lord..."

The translation of placatus to "merciful" and especially as a vocative is free-ish, I would say, but perhaps acceptable.
    Last edited by Pacifica, Nov 2, 2018
  3. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    The sense is basically that you are asking the Lord to be placated and, thus placated, to grant forgiveness etc.

Placatus has adverbial force inasmuch as it denotes the circumstances in which the action of the verb is to be done.

Maybe the difference between this and a vocative will be made clearer if I transpose the same concept into a simpler sentence, so take this, for example:

Cane laetus, Marce! = "Sing joyous, Marcus!" i.e "Sing (while being) joyous, Marcus!", "Be joyous and sing, Marcus!", "Sing joyously, Marcus!"

whereas

Cane, laete Marce! = "Sing, O joyous Marcus!"
    Terry S. likes this.
  4. Patricius New Member

First of all, thank very much for your thoughtful and illuminating reply. So, to be sure that I understand, let me ask, is "largire" then infinitive, effecting the sense "We beseech Thee, [Thou] being merciful to grant to thy faithful indulgence and peace...."? Is "Placatus" nominative because it acts as predicate nominative to the clause subject [Thou] in the clause "[Thou being] merciful." That is some fancy syntax. Latin is so absolutely seductive, that I fear it is destroying my character.
  5. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    No, it is imperative. The infinitive would be largiri. (This verb is deponent.)
    Yes.
  6. Patricius New Member

Thank you.