Colloquial Latin (presentation: need feedback)

By Callaina, in 'Latin Culture', Oct 24, 2018.

1. Callaina Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris
    I gave this tutorial today, by the way (which included the conversational exercise about what one did in childhood). The students really liked it, particularly the werewolf story -- they were quite good about coming up with answers in class! And they seemed to enjoy the discussion of colloquial Latin as well (particularly the bacciballum bit :D )
    Godmy likes this.
  2. Callaina Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris
    They also really seemed to like the "comic strip" graffito :D
  3. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    :)
  4. Callaina Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris
    They really are doing amazingly well, considering they've been taking Latin for less than two months (we didn't, of course, do the entire werewolf story, just some excerpts -- just the bare bones of the tale.) I introduced them to the perfect (several weeks ahead of where their textbook introduces it), and threw in an acc + inf near the end (which they also hadn't seen yet), and even that didn't faze them...
    Godmy likes this.
  5. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Sounds like quite a contrast with your former fellow students.
  6. Callaina Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris
    Heh...yeah, this really is quite an exemplary group, for the most part.
  7. Cinefactus Censor

• Censor
    I think Latin become a lot less intimidating when you realise that most people didn't talk like Cicero
  8. Callaina Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

Yes -- I actually kind of felt a significant portion of the class visibly relax when I told them that! LOL. :D
  9. rothbard Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    I remember Ad Atticum 1.16, on the Clodius trial, and Ad Familiares 8.1 and 8.3 (written by Caelius Rufus) as including several examples of colloquial Latin.
  10. Iáson Cívis Illústris

• Civis Illustris
    I'm a bit late to the party, but you might be interested in the sample of the colloquial and failed colloquial style in Ad Herennium 4.10-11. There are textual issues with the passage, however.

Presumably an issue here is the gap between Proto-Romance and attested Latin, and whether we can explain this by positing certain words etc. in lower social registers?

Another interesting book for further reading is E. Dickey & A. Chahoud (2010), Colloquial and Literary Latin (Cambridge).
    Callaina and rothbard like this.