Come, sit, stay, etc. Commands for dogs.

By Bookwyrm, in 'General Latin Chat (English)', Sep 28, 2011.

1. Bookwyrm New Member

I'm looking to translate several concepts into words, generally imperative verbs. Rather than spamming the forum with a different post for each, I'm combining them here.

I did some work online myself in trying to find decent choices, but not having properly studied Latin, I don't trust my work. I also have no idea how to pronounce it. Even if sede is right for sit, I could pronounce it sehdeh, sayday, sehday, or saydeh, from the reading I did on pronunciation. Please provide a pronunciation guide with translations.

Following, please find one or two english words per concept that might be translated, and a description of what I mean to say to do. I understand that languages are not codes for one another, and thus that I might miss an implication of chair in a Latin verb for sit, or whatever. Still, please be gentle with my attempts; I tried.

Accompany: Walk with me, at my left side, in a specific formation (your shoulder aligned with my hip), maintainting position relative to me. My guess: contende

Sit: Put your buttocks on the ground and leave them there. My guess: sede

Stand: Stand still and square, as if at attention. Ignore anybody touching you. My guess: sta

Lie Down: Put your belly on the ground, legs bent under you. My guess: cube

Come: Come from where you are directly yo me, allowing me to grab you. My guess: vene

Approach: From where you are, come quickly and straight toward me, then sit close enough that I can touch you without moving either foot.

Go: Move directly away from me, in the direction I am facing, perpendicular to the plane of my hips and shoulders/ Keep going until instructed otherwise.

About face: Stop going, turn 180* to face me, then sit and wait for further instruction.

High Jump: Jump over a bar suspended above the ground without knocking it over. This needs to be distinct from Broad Jump.

Broad Jump: Jump over a series of boards lying on the ground without touching any of them. This needs to be distinct from high jump.

Retrieve: Go get that thing I just threw and bring it back to me.

Take: Take the indicated item and hold it in your mouth until told otherwise.

Give: Release the item in your mouth into my hand.

Glove: Go back along the way we just came and find and bring back the glove I dropped.

Find Mine: Go over to a group of objects and retrieve specifically the item that I touched, rather than those handled by strangers.

Place: Go hang out in the indicated small area (e.g. on a mat); don't move from that place, but I don't care what position you choose or even if you change position while remaining there. My guess: Locus

Enter: Go into an enclosed area (such as a crate, or under the table in a restaurant booth) and behave as ifor "place", except that you are free to move within the confines of the three or four walls enclosing it.

If it matters, the organism being instructed is male. With a name like Softmaple Ovidius Crispinus, I figure my curly coated retriever should speak Latin. :)
  2. Bitmap Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    I'm just curious: Why do you want your dog to understand Latin if you don't understand it yourself? That seems really strange.

contende sounds like taking part in some contest to me. "Walk with me/ near me" would probably be something like i prope me. Perhaps you could get away with prope! if you want to tailor it into a single-word-command - it's a bit unusual to use an adverb for a command, but it seems fine with commands for dogs.

sede is fine

sta is fine I think. It could also function as a command for standing on two legs, though.

It should be cuba ... if that sounds too much like a country to you, you can also say accuba

veni

Isn't that the same as "come"?

i

revertere

"jump!" would be sali or salta; I'm not really sure how to distinguish high and broad jump, though.

apporta

da

I'm not sure what glove means, I think the Romans didn't really have gloves. Maybe manica comes close

I'd say meum repperi

Locus means place indeed, but it doesn't sound like a good command for dogs ... perhaps remane (remain)

"enter!" means intra!, but that's entering a room or a house ... I don't think it would make much sense if it's used for 'go under the table', but I can't really think of a passe-partout either
  3. Manus Correctrix QVAE CORRIGIT

• Civis Illustris
    Well, it’s not going to talk back to him and say complicated stuff he doesn’t understand, so basically he’ll just have an awesome Latin-understanding dog. I want one too!

Depends what you mean by ‘eh’ and ‘ay’. There’s certainly no ‘h’ or ‘y’ sound in it.

Once we’ve got what you want, I can write the list out in IPA or make a recording.
  4. Manus Correctrix QVAE CORRIGIT

• Civis Illustris
    Sounds like ‘come and sit’ to me. Veni! Sede!

Hmm, there’s digitabulum.

The Romance languages all have the Germanic loanword guante.

Intra seems adequate to me.
  5. Manus Correctrix QVAE CORRIGIT

• Civis Illustris
    A broad jump is basically a long jump. You’re going for distance instead of height.

Alte sali!

Longe sali!
  6. Bookwyrm New Member

I'm a really strange person? :)

That's pretty much it exactly. "Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur," they say, and who wouldn't want a seemingly erudite dog? :)

Prope! seems like the best choice, then, as you say.

Not really. Come is a vaguer behaviour; approach is precision. I'll probably just use English for the less formal version. I thought veni was supposed to be first person past tense?

How about a succinct way to say something like “I lost it!” with the object being indeterminate?

Remane would seem better for "Stay", to me. The place behaviour includes going to the indicated place, which may be a mat across the room.

The ones that don't seem to need further discussion, jut to make sure I have them straight:

Sit => sede

Stand => sta

Lie Down => cuba

Enter => intra!,

Go => i

About face => revertere

Retrieve => apporta

Give => da

Find Mine => meum repperi

High Jump => Alte sali!

Broad / Long Jump => Longe sali!
  7. scrabulista Consul

• Consul
    I'm moving this to chat - it could provoke a long discussion somewhat reminiscent of the baseball thread.
  8. Nikolaos schmikolaos

• Censor
    Veni is indeed "I came", but it also means "come" as a command. There is a slight difference in the pronunciation of the first-person perfect and imperative, but in this case the spellings are identical.

Re: "meum repperi"... I think that he meant "meum reperi". My apologies if I am mistaken.
  9. Manus Correctrix QVAE CORRIGIT

• Civis Illustris
    Indeed. To be more specific:

‘I came’ = vēnī
    ‘Come!’ = venī

Ah yes. The p is usually double in the perfect tenses and single otherwise.
  10. Manus Correctrix QVAE CORRIGIT

• Civis Illustris
    Hmm, I don’t think those English words convey that. If anything, I’d say the opposite.

In any case, ‘approach’ is approprinqua.

I think what you’re getting at is veni and veni proxime.
  11. Bookwyrm New Member

That explains why I couldn't find it on the translation board . . .

Thank you all for your help so far. I think I can fake the relevant commands in text now. How do I say them? Teaching a dog to read, after all, is a whole OTHER trick :)

Cursor Nictans, you said something about making a recording? I trust my ability to grasp pronunciation from audio a bit more than from IPA.
  12. Manus Correctrix QVAE CORRIGIT

• Civis Illustris

Attached Files:

13. Manus Correctrix QVAE CORRIGIT

• Civis Illustris

Attached Files:

14. Manus Correctrix QVAE CORRIGIT

• Civis Illustris

Attached Files:

15. Aikas Master New Member

Hello, I'm new here.

And I too want to use latin commands for my dog.

Two reasons:

1. I tend to speak too much with my dog in my own language. The problem: Actual commands can drown in the flow of words.
      • Example: » Stupid dog. What have you done? Now SIT and don't move until I have undone what you did. «

It is better to use simple commands when ordering a dog to do something. Using words from another language as commands means, that I can only use these and am not able to construct whole sentences with them.

2. Many words in my own language are sounding too similar and are too short.
      • Sitz [Sit]
        Platz [Lie Down]
        Fuß [stay where my foot is]
        Steh [stay]
        Geh [go]

A dog has problems to hear the differences, especially if the commands are spoken fast. The Latin commands are sounding far more different and it is easier for a dog to hear the differences and differentiate between the commands.

Okay, what exactly is the difference?

Does veni mean that the dog has to come nearer and veni proxime that the dog has to come to me (and sit close enough that it can be touched without moving either foot).
  16. Manus Correctrix QVAE CORRIGIT

• Civis Illustris
    Veni means ‘come’. I added the word proxime (‘very close’) because he seemed to want a command that made the dog come closer to him than with the basic ‘come’ command.
  17. Aikas Master New Member

Thank you. Now I have understood it.

What are the Latin words for

• out [stop the bad thing you are doing]
      stir [last command is cancelled [e.g. sit, lie down, stand] and you can do what you want]
      heel [come as close as possible to where my foot is and stay there [even when I'm walking]]?
  18. Bitmap Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Only if it's a stupid dog.
  19. Bitmap Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

• desine/desiste

I haven't heard of any such command for dogs before

maybe
    ad/prope pedem/calcem [scl meum veni]

or possibly just prope as suggested above
  20. Manus Correctrix QVAE CORRIGIT

• Civis Illustris
    ‘Stir’? That’s a bizarre use of English.

I suppose what we’re really saying is ‘forget it’ (obliviscere) or to do ‘as you wish’ (ut vis) or ‘I’ve cancelled it’ (abrogavi) or that the command ‘no longer’ (non jam) applies.

‘Heel’? Ah, of course, this is one you hear dog trainers saying constantly. Ad calcem seems obvious and right.