Come, sit, stay, etc. Commands for dogs.

By Bookwyrm, in 'General Latin Chat (English)', Sep 28, 2011.

1. Matthaeus Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris
    uhh .. what's the deal with people speaking Latin to dogs these days??
  2. Aikas Master New Member

Maybe in Englisch one could also say » at ease! « or » rest! « or » dismissed! «.

When I command my dog to sit, it has to sit until I give another command [e.g. » come « or » lie down «] or until I allow it to do whatever it wants to do. It's the same with all other commands. They have to be obeyed until they are either replaced with another command or cancelled with a release indication.

I'm looking for a Latin word I can use to convey that the last command is cancelled and the dog can do whatever it wants to do.

» Ut vis « for » do as you wish « sounds good to me. But maybe there is something more appropriate.
  3. Manus Correctrix QVAE CORRIGIT

• Civis Illustris
    Your quotation marks are the wrong way round.
  4. Nikolaos schmikolaos

• Censor
    Ah! Bitmap is a native German speaker, so including the German terms could help clear up ambiguity.

In any case, I'll flip through my dictionary in a moment, if no one else gets to it first.
  5. Nikolaos schmikolaos

• Censor
    Hm... how about just desine? Dé-si-ne.
  6. Aikas Master New Member

In that case, in German I would say « rühren » or « wegtreten ». The first command is usually used when soldiers are standing at attention to allow them to stay at ease [or at least less stiff]. The second command allows soldiers to go; the soldiers are dismissed for now.

Up today I use the first - although the second would be more appropriate for what I want to convey. But the first is shorter and easier to understand for a dog (and does not sound so militaristic).

What is the meaning of « desine »? Because I do not want to order my dog to abandon me. ;)
  7. Aikas Master New Member

Thank you for that advice.

As far as I know, in Romanic languages the guillemets are usually used pointing outwards (« like this ») while in German they are used pointing inwards (» like this «).

I'll try to remember that it is in English the other way round from how it is in German.
  8. Manus Correctrix QVAE CORRIGIT

• Civis Illustris
    Indeed. Plus, we never use that style of speech marks anyway. We use inverted commas, single or double.
  9. Manus Correctrix QVAE CORRIGIT

• Civis Illustris
    It’s ‘stop’. We already need that one for your ‘out’ command.
  10. Bitmap Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    That's something you say to soldiers. I've never heard anybody say it to dogs.

Anyway, another option would be libere (age), "act freely" for rühren. weggetreten could be translated as recede
  11. Bookwyrm New Member

In this area (southern Ontario, Canada), I usually hear "Okay!" I've aso seen peope use "All done" or just "go play".
  12. Bookwyrm New Member

Cursor Nictans, thank you very much for those audio files!

-Bookwyrm