Cooking thread

By Pixie, in 'Non-Latin Talk', Jul 27, 2012.

1. Adrian Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Österreichische Alt-Wiener Kaiser Omelette - Austrian Old-Vienna Style Emperor's Omelet
    This Austrian dish is a wonderfull dessert. It can be served with whipped cream and strawberries (tastes wonderful with Wiener Kaffee and Cognac;))
    This is a battle-proven "she loves it" dessert when you want to impress your girlfriend;) (confirmed - twice:D)

[IMG]

[IMG]

Ingredients
    4 eggs separated
    3 tbsp sugar
    1 cup flour sifted
    1/8 tsp salt
    1/8 cup milk
    3 tbsp butter or margarine
    1 Powdered sugar with vanilla bean
    3 tbsp Sultana raisins (I like raisins so I use 6 tbsp - previously soaked for 24h in rum;))

My variant:
    additionally : 1 tbsp honey, pinch of cinnamon; 1 tbsp of rum
    (served with 1 scoop of vanilla ice, whipped cream, strawberry jam and fresh strawberries)

Directions
    Combine egg yolks with sugar, sifted flour,, salt, and milk to make a paste fold in stiffly beaten egg whites.
    Melt 1/4 the Butter or margarine in a large skillet arid pour in 1/4 the mixture.
    Fry slowly until it puffs turn and1 brown, other side.
    Tear off small pieces of the omelet with 2 forks and place on dish with powdered sugar which has been kept with vanilla bean. Cook other omelets and add in the same manner.
    When all omelets are cooked, torn in pieces, and mixed with powdered sugar, return to skillet with 1 tbsp butter or margarine and the raisins, and heat through.
    Serves 4 (This omelet should be served with a tart fruit compote,, such as sour cherries or plums.)

Guten Appetit!

Decimvs Pixie Tiger
    Last edited by Adrian, Aug 23, 2012
    Hawkwood, Decimvs and Bestiola like this.
  2. Decimvs Aedilis

• Aedilis
    I add the peppers right into the whisked egg mixture; the heat of cooking serves to soften them up just slightly, but not enough to make them squishy. I sometimes just eat slices of tomato on the side; I cut a piece from the omelet, cut a piece of tomato, and stick both with the fork. But, you can add them in to the pan, you just have to do it right before you fold the omelet -- you are right; too much time in the pan, and the tomato pieces can get too soft. Also, not using the very center part (seeds and jelly) of the tomato helps. Just use the thickest and more firm outer areas.

I think of it like a stir fry; the ingredients that I don't want to lose their firmness go in last. :)
    Adrian likes this.
  3. Adrian Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Thank you for the tip Decimvs. I will put it into use.
  4. Schatzl Active Member

I took up baking over the summer. I mainly make thumbprint cookies with raspberry jam an chocolate sprinkles. Here is the recipe I use:

Thumbprint Cookies Recipe
    Add to shopping list
    INGREDIENTS
    1 cup of butter (2 sticks or 8 ounces), room temperature
    1/2 cup of sugar
    2 eggs, room temperature
    1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
    Pinch of salt
    2 cups of flour
    1 cup of chopped nuts (optional)
    3/4 cup of your favorite jam
    Parchment paper
    METHOD
    1 Cream the butter and sugar on high speed for about 3 minutes.
    2 Separate the eggs. Add the yolks and vanilla extract to the butter mixture. If using nuts place the egg whites in a shallow dish on the side and whisk them until bubbly and frothy (the egg whites will be used to keep the nuts on the cookies).
    3 Add the flour and salt. Mix until just combined. Place the dough in the fridge for 30 minutes and preheat the oven to 350F.
    4 Roll the dough into balls about 1 inch in diameter. If using nuts, dip the balls into the egg whites then roll them into the nuts until covered. Place the balls on parchment lined cookie sheets.
    5 Press down with your thumb to make a small well in the center of the cookie. Do not press too hard or the cookie will fall apart. Fill with 1/2 teaspoon of jam.
    6 Bake for 12-15 minutes or until slightly firm. Allow to cool for a few minutes on the cookie sheet to firm up before moving them to a wire rack to finish cooling.
    Yield: Makes 2 dozen cookies.
  5. Decimvs Aedilis

• Aedilis
    This sounds excellent. I have never used jam when making cookies. I might give this a try. Thanks for the post!
  6. Schatzl Active Member

Before you put it in the oven, put the jam and sprinkles on the cookie and it gets rid of the seeds, either that or I just didn't notice the seeds. They ask for a little too much salt though, I cut the salt down after the first time.

I've also been making salsa lately and French toast lately. For the salsa it's all trial and error, you just have to eye it up.

You will need:
    Fresh tomatoes
    Onion
    Fresh cilantro (if you want it to be a little sweeter)
    Salt
    Cayenne powder
    One jalapeño
    Some garlic powder (just on occasion)
    And some lime juice

It's rather simple to make. Just:
    Cut the tomatoes and onions, making sure that there's an equal amount
    Add the cilantro
    It doesn't matter what order you add the spices in, just as long as they're in there.
    Then add the lime juice.
    (a note about the cayenne and jalapeñeo, this should go without saying, don't add too much. But it would make a good April Fools joke)
    The only problem is I don't have a set recipe, I just do a taste test with some chips. ;)
  7. Adrian Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Makovník/Makowiec/Poppy Seed Roll
    Poppy Seed Roll.jpg

Ingredients:
    • Dough:
    • 1 package active dry yeast
    • 2 cups warm milk
    • 8 cups all-purpose flour
    • 3/4 cup sugar
    • 1 teaspoon salt
    • 5 eggs
    • 4 ounces (1 stick) butter, melted
    • 2 (11-ounce) cans poppy seed filling (grinding poppy is not only long but tiresom so I recommend buying prefabricated filling)
    • Poppy Seed Filling:
    • 2 (11-ounce) cans poppy seed filling
    • 1 cup sugar
    • 6 ounces softened butter (1 1/2 sticks)
    • 1 cup hot milk
    • 1 lemon rind, grated
    • additionally (my variation) - 50-100g raisines
    Preparation:
    1. Put raisines into hot water for about 10 minutes. Then strain.
    2. Combine all filling ingredients. Beat well and set aside.
    3. In a small heatproof bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup of the warm milk.
    4. In the bowl of a stand mixer or a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt and eggs. Add remaining 1 1/2 cups warm milk, butter and yeast mixture. With the paddle attachment, or by hand, beat until smooth. Dough will be sticky at this point.
    5. Scrape dough into a clean, greased bowl. Sprinkle the top with a little flour and cover. Let stand in a warm place for 1 hour or until double in size.
    6. Punch down dough and turn out onto a floured surface. Divide dough in half and shape each half into a rectangle.
    7. Spread 1 can or half of the filling you made on each rectangle of dough and roll up like a jelly roll. Turn ends under so filling will not leak out.
    8. Place on a parchment-lined or greased pan, cover and let rise again until double in size.
    9. Heat oven to 350 degrees (ca. 180 Celcius) . Brush tops of rolls with additional melted butter. Bake 45 to 60 minutes or until rolls are golden brown.
    10. Remove from oven and cool. Dust rolls with confectioners' sugar, if desired.
    Aurifex likes this.
  8. Akela dat affluenter

• Princeps Senatus
    Careful, crowd. I just received a DMCA removal request from our host for one of the recipes posted in this thread.

I removed the reported post, but in the future don't copy large chunks of text exactly (especially without a link to the original source). Tell us of what you learned in your own words. :)
  9. Adrian Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Potato Latkes
    My grandma used to make (this is Askhenazi dish, but popular in historical region of Galicia / Galicja/ Ruthenia Rubra / Halič)

Latkes are versatile - you can eat them as seperate dish with all sorts of dips or as substitute for potatos/ frites/ silesian dumplings etc.

[IMG]

Ingredients (for 4 people):
    - 7 medium size potatos (ca. 1-1,5 kg / ca. 2,5 pounds) (large schreds)
    - 1 big onion (finely schreded)
    - 2-3 garlic cloves (finely schreded) - optional
    - 1 small carrot (finely schreded)
    - 2 eggs
    - 1 tsp ground black peeper
    - 1 tsp salt
    - pinch of ground juniper
    - pinch of ground cumin - optional
    - 2 tbsp potato snarch
    - 1/4 cup porrige oats
    - 1/4 cup breadcrumbs

frying oil: I use regular canola oil.

Processing:
    1. Schred potatos (use food processor + schredding attachment with big holes) , grate onion and garlic
    2. Drain potato schreds ,onion, garlic - place it on a clean towel - then wrap and squize the towel to remove excess of liquid
    3. Put the basis in a bowl, add rest of ingredients , mix everything for 5 minutes, ensure everything is fully mixed throughout the potato shreds.

Tip : if latkes aren’t holding together, add more potato starch into the mixture, slowly until the batter “holds”.

4. one latkes = scoop 3 tbsp of mixture and form a disc in your hand
    5. heat up oil in a skillet and place latkes carefuly (oil should snizzle and gently bubble)
    6. fry about 2 minutes on each side untlil it's golden brown.
    Last edited by Adrian, Dec 23, 2018
    Hawkwood likes this.
  10. Adrian Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Some cooking tips to share (hopefully other cooking enthusiast here might share their secrets:) )

1. Lemon - lemon juice is excellent aftertaste neutraliser - if you are preparing vegetable smoothies add lemon juice; also grated lemon zest neutralizes undesired aftertaste (e.g. carrot cake/ muffins); lemon zest also enriches the bakings with pleasant citrus aroma. the finer you grate the better. Don't be afraight to sprinkle owen-baked meat with a bit of lemon juice (or even mix lemon juice with oil or melted butter and grease meat with it)

2. Salt - don't be afraight to add salt. Salt enhances flavour of a dish or drink. ( for example try Black coffe with a small pinch of salt added - you'll notice the different taste) . Salt as seasoning should be added first.
    The earlier you start seasoning, the deeper and more concentrated the flavors will become. When cooking meats (especially pork and venison) make sure to salt and tenderize with a fork the night before.
    Last edited by Adrian, Apr 10, 2019
    Hawkwood likes this.
  11. Adrian Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Garlic
    - avoid garlic powder, or bottled garlic; use fresh one if possible (fresh garlic has most allicin)
    - before mincing or crushing - cut the peeled clove and let it stay for short time (enzymes react with oxygen)
    - as ingredient , minced, chooped or crushed garlic should be added last - don't throw prepared garlic into frying oil (it quickly looses aroma)
    - crushed garlic cloves taste strong, whereas sliced or coarsely chopped garlic cloves taste milder. Intact garlic cloves are mildest of all. Mashing minced garlic with a pinch of coarse salt can help tame the harsh flavor.
    - For marinate / meat grease best use mashed garlic with olive oil
    - garlic doesn't go well with sweat seasonings like sweet paprika , curry, saffron
    - garlic goes well with salt, pepper and herbes de provence
  12. Adrian Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Thanks Lysandra for providing reference to "pass the garum" blogspot. I like the concept of placenta
    Should you have any other resources or references to roman cuisine (especially roman sweet pastry dishes) - would be nice if you shared:hat:

If you are interested , I found this material of some use as far s roman cookery is considered.
    https://kitchenproject.com/history/apicius/Apicius.pdf
    Last edited by Adrian, Apr 15, 2019 at 5:32 AM