Dare to love; Dare to dream. Dare to know; Dare to be.

By rpr52121, in 'English to Latin Translation', Aug 30, 2011.

1. rpr52121 New Member

a) Personal Inspirational Motto. Thought it would also be nice to have engraved to put on the wall. I thought of it sort of myself, though obviously with help as some universities have the motto "Dare to know/Dare to be wise".

b) Dare to love - "Do not be afraid to love someone."
    Dare to dream - "Dare yourself to have hopes and dreams, and not just be satisfied with what is"
    Dare to know - "Never be afraid to learn or read" or "Dare to be wise"
    Dare to be - "Go be whatever you want, instead of just wishing or hoping for it", essentially "Just do it" in different words.

e) In my own attempts to look for translation I found that "Dare to love" could be translated to "Aude Amāre !" based on a past translation request here: http://latindiscussion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10438&p=61347.

I also know that many universities have Dare to know or Dare to be wise as a motto often translated as either "Sapere aude" or "Aude Sapere".

As expected, I was not the first person to think of this phrase. A few years back, someone had asked for translation of "dare to love, dare to dream, dare to know" on Yahoo! Answers http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090429180940AAk0S83 (I know the source is not reputable, but I'm just providing all of what I have been able to find.") The response was a translation of: "Aude amare et somniare et scire" or "Dare to love and to dream and to know." Not exactly what I was going for, but as I do not know Latin it may be correct.

Looking up Amāre and Sapere, I saw that those were the present participle conjugations of the verbs and got this:
    "Aude amāre; Aude somniāre. Aude sapere; Aude esse." which I know is most likely wrong.

Now please do not mistake, the long explanation of what I have found as arrogance, boasting, or anything of the sort. I am simply trying to show I have exhibited some personal due diligence to attempt to translate the phrase before coming to you here who actually know the language.

So, I am asking for your assistance, if you may, to guide me.

Many Thanks.
    Ryan PR
  2. Imprecator Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Amare sperare scire esse/uiuere aude. Though uiuere is lit. 'live', of course, it can be used in a sense similar to esse (live as a common man, warrior, sex god, &c)
  3. rpr52121 New Member

Thanks for your help Imprecator.

So, I'm understanding you correctly are you saying that sperare should replace somniare and scire should replace sapere. Then possibly use uiuere in place of esse.

Also, the re-use of "Dare to" was intentional for rhythmic effect. Felt it gives it more more than using a list or using multiple "ands". In that case, would the use of aude once be sufficient to express that, or in other words would multiple uses of aude be incorrect?

Thanks.
  4. socratidion Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    You may repeat 'aude' if you wish.
  5. Bitmap Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    somniare means "to dream", but it is restricted to the kind of dream you have while sleeping, not the great expectations you have in your life. That's why we usually replace the word with something else when "to dream" refers to your aspirations.

I don't see anything wrong with sapere. There is absolutely nothing wrong with esse either.

I think you should repeat it as in the English original ... else you just diminish the effect the phrase is supposed to have