Dates in Latin (Roman Numbers)

By Cato, in 'Latin to English Translation', Dec 5, 2006.

1. dioutoro New Member

in Roman calender do January, March, May, July, August, October, December have 31 days? so if write 19th June, that would be like a.d. XIII Kal. Jul. ?
    thanks
  2. Nikolaos schmikolaos

• Censor
    Exactly so!
  3. dioutoro New Member

thanks mate
  4. Zilla Lee New Member

How could I translate this into Roman numerals in a Latin format (ex. which number goes first: date, yr, month)? It was an important date to me.

July 24, 2012
  5. socratidion Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Ancient or modern? I mean, do you want to be bothered with calends and ides and such, or do you just want to say 'the 24th day of July in the year 2012 A.D.'? Or C.E.?
  6. Nikolaos schmikolaos

• Censor
    What Socratidion is saying is that the Romans reckoned dates much differently than we do. Instead of calling today the 21st of June, they would call it "11 days before the calends of July".

Instead of the year being 2013 AD, it would be 2766 AUC, the number of years since the traditional founding of Rome.

Random trivia: Leap day is actually on February 24, not the 29th. The Romans actually inserted a day between the 23rd and the 24th on leap years instead of putting it at the end of the month. I seem to recall finding evidence that the 24th was legally leap day in England some few hundred years ago, but I don't know where I would look to find that again...
  7. Nikolaos schmikolaos

• Censor
    ... was this post always in this thread, or was it moved here? If it was already here, I feel like an idiot for going into all that detail.
  8. Iohannes Aurum Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius
    Well Nikolaos, I have moved it here, seeing that it is more relevant.

Since you are a Consul, you can make some changes to fit in.
  9. Nikolaos schmikolaos

• Censor
    No, no objections. I was just wondering if I really repeated the content of the first post :p
  10. Zilla Lee New Member

Yeah, it was moved here. :dynamite:
  11. Pablo222 Member

Sorry if I missed this but...

When writings dates then, do we write the Kalenda, Nona, Idus in the sing. and also the accusative case?

So Kalendas, Nonas, Idus?
  12. Pablo222 Member

Also, if you wanted to add the year to the day and month, how would you write it?
Tags: dates