Dative sentences - can anyone explain?

By goldenmom3533, in 'Latin Grammar Questions', May 15, 2017.

1. goldenmom3533 New Member

Hello! I previously had mentioned that my daughter is on homebound (not homeschool, but when you are sick) and so she is not getting any in class instruction. We would appreciate any guidance as appropriate on her worksheet on dative sentences.

She has a worksheet says to structure the sentences or endings to make a Dative sentence.

The worksheet asks to "Use one word from each of the columns to make a complete sentence..." the words are:
    Heri, Mane
    canem, cibum, pecuniam, panem, vinum, libros
    cani, amicis, patri, ancillae, senatoribus, liberibus
    dedi, dedimus, dederunt

We would appreciate any overall guidance on Dative, maybe an example, etc. thank you, I genuinely appreciate any help.
  2. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Hello,

The primary function of the dative is to denote the indirect object. The indirect object is the person or thing towards which you direct an action; it is the "beneficiary" of the action. Basically, a dative means "to X". E.g. magister discipulo(dative) librum dat = "The teacher gives a book to the student". You could also say "The teacher gives the student a book", but this means the same as "The teacher gives a book to the student": whenever you can modify such a sentence so as to use "to", the noun or pronoun after "to" will be dative in Latin.

Liberibus isn't a correct form. That should probably be liberis.
    goldenmom3533 likes this.