De gustibus est disputandum... ;)

By Callaina, in 'Non-Latin Talk', Jul 28, 2015.

1. Callaina Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris
    Since we come from so many different parts of the world, I thought it might be fun to compare (if not quite debate ;) ) some of the foods we eat and enjoy that may be exotic/unknown to others.

For example, on this VERY hot day in Eastern Canada, I am sitting down to a green smoothie.

You heard that right. A green smoothie. Here's what's left of it (as you can see I drank most of it immediately) sitting in my Vitamix blender:

green smoothie.jpg

Ingredients: frozen mango, frozen pineapple, lemon juice, and fresh garden spinach.

No, this isn't a Canadian custom, though it does seem to be a North American trend in recent years. Does anyone else ever make these?

Okay, next! :)
    Hawkwood, Bestiola and Aurifex like this.
  2. Aurifex Aedilis

• Aedilis
    I can't usually be bothered making these sorts of things, but fortunately someone else in the family likes making them. I don't like vegetables in cold drinks, but blended fruit drinks are fine, and especially so if there's some yogurt or ice-cream in the mix.
    malleolus likes this.
  3. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Never tasted that.

Today I've been eating bulgur with tomato sauce and grated cheese. Not that it is typically Belgian — or typically anything as far as I know — or that I especially love it, but that's just about all I have at hand. Well, except some bread and jam, which I ate some of too.

I like a lot of things, but I don't know... nothing very special it seems to me. Chocolate, pizzas, cakes, fries, candies, and many other banal things.
  4. Tomer Active Member

Smoothies are quite fashionable in Israel. Every street in Tel Aviv bears a few of these juicy taverns. Considering the temperatures around here, no need to wonder why.

Be it summer or winter (our winters are fairly short and miserable, taking out occasional rarities by mother earth) Israelis eat Falafel and Hummus all year round. It's practically a religion. Ask the pilgrims. Other than that, the usual imperial junk, flaunting extra mediterranean seasoning.

EDIT: I despise Hummus. Falafel goes every now and then, as long as it's cheap.
  5. Callaina Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris
    I love hummus! The more garlicky the better. The perfect summer food, and it goes with everything, pretty much...

More or less indifferent to falafel, though.

I think I've had bulgur in a few salads, but never as a pasta substitute. I'll have to try it sometime.

Me too... ;)
  6. Bestiola Speculatrix

• Praetor
    • Praeco
    WOW, i do! at least twice per day. In the morning - orange/grapefruit with some lettuce for breakfast, and then in the afternoon usually mix of banana, lettuce, parsley, cucumbers, peaches and water :)
    Last edited by Bestiola, Jul 30, 2015
    Laurentius, Aurifex and Callaina like this.
  7. Bestiola Speculatrix

• Praetor
    • Praeco
    i'm sorry for the lousy formatting, it's because of the proxy.
  8. malleolus Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    I'm totally into Chinese herbal teas ATM which made my cravings for sweets stop almost overnight.
    Laurentius and Aurifex like this.
  9. Etaoin Shrdlu Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    I've always wondered why people drink herbal tea. That's the first actual reason anyone's given.

I eat lots of different things, because I get bored easily, and it spreads the health risks. In theory I'll try anything, although this hasn't so far extended to liquidised vegetables. Or tripe or insects, for that matter. Falafel is only as good as the vegetables it's with, which means it's brilliant in Israel, but not so good the further north you go, into the lands of cabbage falafels and kebabs.

Question for Pacis Puella, or anyone else who might happen to know: how does Joris salted liquorice compare to Dutch salmiak, or the German/Scandinavian kinds I've never tried? Also, is it readily available in ordinary supermarkets, or more of a niche thing?
  10. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    I have no idea, sorry.

So you've never eaten vegetable soup in your life? :p
  11. malleolus Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    off topic:

I've ventured into the realm of Chinese soups(those that consist of chestnuts, mung beans, rice, Chinese dates,etc.) lately and in combining them with two cups of that Chinese tea a day I've managed to lose about 3 stone 5 within 6 months.
    Hawkwood, Laurentius and Bestiola like this.
  12. Callaina Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris
    Impressive!! :)
  13. malleolus Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Thank you for your kind comment.The fun thing about it all is that I don't feel as if I'm starving myself.

Trust me to get the finer points of this recipe only on second reading. Sounds quite interesting - as I have to go grocery shopping tomorrow I will get all the ingredients.Does the spinach have to be fresh? Or can I just get one box of frozen spinach leaves?
  14. Callaina Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris
    I've never tried with frozen spinach - not sure it would work. You also need to add some water/juice/soymilk to get it to a smoothie texture.
  15. Bestiola Speculatrix

• Praetor
    • Praeco
    i think the point of green smoothies is to take fresh vegetables, as i don't think frozen would do so greatly....but congrats on the weight loss :) some recipes here if everyone is interested: http://simplegreensmoothies.com/recipes
    malleolus and Callaina like this.
  16. Etaoin Shrdlu Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    I vaguely remember reading somewhere that frozen vegetables are often richer in nutrients than fresh ones, as there's no guarantee of the content of produce, either from shops or a market. But really, why do this to spinach? It has a bad enough reputation from school dinners, boiled to revolting pointlessness. Cooked with things like eggs or cheese, it's sublime. In a smoothie, it weeps for the vanity of its existence.
  17. Callaina Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris
    Vanitas vanitatum, et omnia vanitas.

Even spinach. :D
  18. Tomer Active Member

Had "hummus" been spelled with one "m", I'd pun: Iudaeae humum edimus.

Since we actually consume our ground over here, as well as whatever is ground, e.g. chickpeas.

-I just noticed that humus is a feminine noun of the 2nd declension.(mother earth, I suppose, is the logic thereof).
  19. malleolus Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Thank you all for your comments.It will have to be fresh spinach then.
  20. Bestiola Speculatrix

• Praetor
    • Praeco
    you can also play with different kind of lettuce :) lamb lettuce is especially great, parsley leaves, celery leaves, even carrot leaves can be used...or fresh basil, cilantro, herbs ...