De Re Rustica I.68

By legio septima, in 'Reading Latin', May 17, 2019.

1. legio septima Member

Hello everyone,
    I have some difficulties with piece [68], the commentary does not give any information on in.
    I hope you can help me out.

This is what I was able to interpret
    Hanging things like grapes, apples and sorb berries indicate by themselves when they should be eaten; beacuse by change of colour and shrivelling of the skin they threaten that if you do not take them down to eat they will come down to be thrown away. Sorb berries ripe and soft should be eaten quickly; ....
  2. Hemo Rusticus The Lizard King

• Civis Illustris
    Could you specify a little? Are you meaning the part after citius promi oportet?
  3. legio septima Member

4. Hemo Rusticus The Lizard King

• Civis Illustris
    I can see why it's giving you trouble, as it's rather weird. I'll try to clarify what may be the most difficult:

conditum, participle of condo, is not so much 'hide' as more generally 'stow/place/keep' ('The mature sorb, stored (while it is) soft/ripe...)

The quod does not have sorbum as its antecedent (that is, it doesn't mean 'which/that'), but is rather to be translated as because.

Lastly, we have the word quam used in two different ways. The first one is a relative pronoun and has maturitatem as its antecedent ('a maturity, which it cannot attain (adsequi nequit) on the branch...'). Note that nequit and vult both make use of adsequi. However, the second quam is to be taken with prius (often written as one word where applicable) and must be translated as 'before'.

Let me know if I can help further.
  5. Hemo Rusticus The Lizard King

• Civis Illustris
    Incidentally, what got you into Varro, if I might ask?
  6. legio septima Member

Thank you Hemo Rusticus for the explanation on piece 68. My tutor advised me to read Book I of Rerum Rusticarum Libri Tres before I start working through Cicero's orations.
  7. Dantius Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris
    Interesting advice. Tbh I think Cicero is not so difficult — his style is very logical and precisely composed, whereas Varro does not have such a clear style, and I'd imagine that De Re Rustica includes a lot of technical vocabulary that you might not see much elsewhere (unless you read other agricultural writers).
    Matthaeus likes this.
  8. legio septima Member

I never read any work of Cicero, so I can't really tell anything about his writing style. I guess I'll find out soon :)