Deus mihi judex. dominus fortitudo meA, et illumiNatIo mea, Et saLus mea, quem timebo?

By Daniel.Ma, in 'Latin to English Translation', Jan 17, 2019.

1. Daniel.Ma New Member

Hello people
    Im completely new to this forum i was looking forward to get a tattoo containing my name and also the meaning of it and by searching all over intenet i got to this mix, considering you are all pro here and have a great knowledge of this beautiful language would it be possible to let me know if its right or not? Thank you in advance for your help

Deus mihi judex. Dominus fortitudo meA, et illumiNatIo mea, Et saLus mea, quem timebo?
  2. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Hello,

Deus mihi judex means "God is my judge".

The rest seems to be a mixture of several Psalm verses, one saying "The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear?" and many others calling God/the Lord "my strength". Your mixture says "The Lord is my strength, my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear?"

It is all correct Latin except I don't know why some random letters are underlined, italicized and capitalized. Maybe you copied it from a post where someone was emphasizing corrections of typos. Don't get it tattooed that way; just write it all normally (unless you like the strange layout for some reason).
  3. Etaoin Shrdlu Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    The capitalised, etc. letters represent his name.
    Pacifica likes this.
  4. Godmy A Monkey

• Civis Illustris
    In inscriptions on buildings you usually represent the year or so this way.
  5. Etaoin Shrdlu Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Can you link to an example? I'm not sure I understand what you mean.
  6. Godmy A Monkey

• Civis Illustris
    Capitalized* letters in Latin building inscriptions often reveal a date (unrelated to this). I mentioned that since it was new for Pacifica.

*Capitalized as in "larger" if all letters are capital.
  7. Etaoin Shrdlu Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    I've never noticed that. I'll have to look out for it. It's not easy to google, predictably.