"Do not read the latin"

By Me122, in 'English to Latin Translation', Sep 11, 2017.

1. Me122 New Member

Hi All,

I would like to get this translated: "Do not read the latin"

The meaning I am trying to convey is an instruction to not read latin aloud ... think, the supernatural horror movie where the characters find an old book in a locked room and sound out the latin phrases, summoning summon demons, spirits and the like.

The posting instructions mentioned that latin is gender specific; I am female, so I would be the delivering it. Though I would like it to be for a gender neutral recipient. Is that possible?

I hope this is enough information (and not too presumptive asking for a free translation).

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Meg
  2. Dantius Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris
    Perhaps you could say:
    "Ne haec verba Latina legeris", meaning "don't read these Latin words", addressed to a single gender-neutral person.
  3. LCF a.k.a. Lucifer

• Civis Illustris
    // Don't read aloud, Thou shall not read in aloud.

ne voce legito

// Don't read Latin, The Latin shall not be read.
    ne Latinum legito

// Don't read in Latin, Thou shall not read in Latin.

ne Latine legito

Like in Ius Romanum
    Last edited by LCF, Sep 12, 2017
  4. Dantius Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris
    I wasn't sure whether "Latinum" as a noun was idiomatic. It seems to occur only in the phrase "in Latinum vertere", where it refers generally to the Latin language rather than a specific Latin phrase like "read the Latin" does.
  5. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    I would use the neuter plural: Latina ne legeris.