Does anyone speak Latin fluently?

By Chastaine, in 'Latin Beginners', Sep 22, 2006.

1. Chastaine New Member

Does anyone here actually speak latin fluently?? I would think it would require tons of study ( since I don't think it is spoken much anywhere ). Fluency is my goal. I am just starting. Right now I'm just memorizing all the grammar. I'm hoping It won't take me forever to get to my goal. I actually want to learn 5 other languages and figure that If I can tackle the root language then the others might fall together more quickly. The main reason for me to learn Latin is for my deep interest in it's history though.

I was also wondering if anyone thinks it is possible to learn a language in under a year. If as many hours as needed in that year was put into.

Thanks,
    Chastaine
  2. deudeditus Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    I know of at least one person who can speak it with ease. fluency, i think, involves more than just knowing a language, but living it and it's culture. but then again, that's just my opinion. fluency in under a year, though... I won't say that it's impossible, but if you consider that a child takes years (some more than others) to learn a language, and also that a child's mind learns more quickly than an adult's/adulescent's, then I'd say it would be next to impossible... but that's no reason not to try, you can still learn alot in a year. :D

-Jon
  3. Chastaine New Member

Yeah, I definitely expect latin to take me a few years of intense study to be comfortable with. I've heard of people learning living laguages ( fluently ) in a year or less. I guess your right in that you have to be completely emersed in it. Sad that there is no place like this for latin. ANyways, thanks for the reply.
  4. Cato Consularis

• Consularis
    I don't think spoken fluency is a good goal for Latin students simply because so few people speak the language casually today. Unlike French, Spanish, German, Japanese, or any other modern language, you're not likely to need latin in order to ask somebody directions to the airport or order a meal in a restaurant.

Reading fluency, on the other hand, is essential by the time you're in your fourth year. I'm not saying the two goals are exclusive, but choosing one limits the other; I'd hate to see the literary side decline because of some misguided desire to pursue "Conversational Latin" in the early years.
  5. Chastaine New Member

I see what your saying. But wouldn't it be awesome to be able to anyways? When I do things, I tend to go all out. I will do this with Latin. I guess maybe I should consider it as an on-going practice after the reading fluency is accomplished.
  6. Akela viam inveniam

• Princeps Senatus
    I wonder if this plan succeeded... :)
  7. Decimvs Aedilis

• Aedilis
    No. Not even close in fact.

I, of course, understand that this debate hinges on the operational definition of fluency. But, even the world's best Latin speakers (that I have seen) are nowhere even remotely close to being fluent, when it is defined as speaking freely with no hesitation or thought put into the production of the speech.
  8. Bitmap Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    ever spoken to Tunberg? :>
  9. Akela viam inveniam

• Princeps Senatus
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqOFnYgyRr8[/youtube]

I want to go there :bawling:

All university lectures until 18th century were in Latin?
  10. Nooj Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Oh that's awesome. That gives me more motivation in my studying!
  11. Beyla New Member

aww, now I even want to study harder!!
    Latin, j'aime toi! (XD sorry, I have the weird habit to throw random short, crappy, or short and crappy French sentences around)
    The thing is... we HAVE such a facility at our school...!! Probably not that good, the teacher admitted to me that he wasn't superior in Latin and he had to describe things sometimes when conversations got difficult, but he does actually speak it.
    And you learn to speak it also...! But I feel so stupid >.< because I hated school, I still do its BORING!, I neglected everything. Including my favourite language: Latin! And now I'm not allowed to join the course... bloody, bloody me!
    Nonnumquam mihi odio!

lol, just had the mood for a random crappy Latin sentence. I wanted to say "sometimes I hate myself" but I couldn't find, you don't believe it, myself!! >.> so I just picked a random word that sounded like it I could remember reading in a text... but isn't this more like "my bag/ my car/ etc." (forgot the Enlish term, but to say its someone's possession. Possessive, or something like that)
    and I guess I'll just translate this and that... I got NO idea when to use certain words, especially when I've never seen them before in texts, so I'll probably make lots of mistakes... but, ab mendum scis.
  12. Bitmap Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    the "-self" bit in Germanic languages (i.e. English and Dutch) often is not necessary in Latin; you can just use the reflexive pronoun.
    Note that odisse is a defective verb as it does not have any present forms, though. However, the perfect tense forms are present in meaning:

nonnumquam me odi
  13. Beyla New Member

ah yes, but actually I couldn't find anything near to "me"... omfg... and what is it *tratratratraaa* ME!! XD

-_- indeed, I checked my dictionary... and you're completely right!
    But in my dictionary is written that "odio" means, sorry guys, I don't know how to translate this in English, "iemand hartstochtelijk haten"
    certainly NOT what I meant XD thanks! I have to learn READ what is written next to a word, instead simply using it... -_-

did I do the very small last thing correctly btw? I meant to say something like "from/trough mistakes/faults you learn" but I'm not sure about "ab"...
    well, it sounds like Latin :) lol!
  14. Bitmap Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    in addition, I should maybe add that there is also the word ipse which kind of means "self"; if you want to include it, you could also write nonnumquam ipse me odi; I didn't think that would be necessary here, though.

excellent! I'm glad I still seem to know some Latin :p

"to loathe" someone ... "to hate someone with all your being"
    However, this is a variant of odisse which does not occur in classical Latin. It is found in Christian texts, though.

ab requires the ablative
    scire means "to know"; "to learn" is discere:

ex mendo discis (discere can also go with ab or de ... I just liked ex better)
  15. Beyla New Member

OOOOPS... that's very stupid! Of course I know that scire is "to know" and discere "to learn".... -___- shame on me!
    okay thanks, like I said before... I seriously should start reading if its +ablative/infinitive/accusative/whatever you like!

and ex...
    I've only learnt the translation "out" (in our book it says "uit" in the sense of "ex domum")
    are there more translations?
  16. Nikolaos schmikolaos

• Censor
    Perhaps "out of", "out from", and just plain "from".
  17. Nooj Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    It does mean 'out' here. You're learning 'out of' an error. But there are many ways of saying this. You could simply have the ablative. Ablatives can express cause, so 'dicis mendo' means you learn because of error.
  18. Beyla New Member

ah yes! Didn't think about that!
    Actually that's better I guess, I tried to translate every word individually... a mistake I often make!
  19. Nooj Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    There's a wonderful phrase I read somewhere: solvitur ambulando. It is solved by walking. I take it to mean that something is only resolved by direct action, and a similar sentiment could be applied to learning Latin if we change the wording around a bit: solvitur errando. Every mistake is an opportunity to get better. At least, that's what I keep telling myself. :)
  20. Bitmap Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    An ablativus causae doesn't usually stand alone as far as I know but is usually connected to some ppp (e.g. metu adductus); discere with a bare ablative looks a bit strange, too.
    discis errando would work though (you learn by erring)