Elementary, my dear Watson!

By J.M, in 'English to Latin Translation', Apr 5, 2019.

1. J.M Active Member

Greetings to all Latin D members,

Yesterday I began reading the book, Sherlock Holmes is a fictional detective character created by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle in 1892. He is currently regarded as one of the finest fictional detectives ever known and the fact that he’s survived for over a century is a testimony to the character’s brilliance.
    Anyways, I would like the citation on the thread title to be translated into Modern Latin (although I don't think there will be too much of a difference EDIT: between Modern, Medieval and Classical Latin) as it is a phrase which is thought to have been said by Sherlock Holmes to his friend Dr.Watson but in fact the character never says this in any of the stories,

Thank you,
    J.M
  2. Bitmap Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Maybe
    facile intellectu, mi optime Watson

(I could think of a number of other ways, though, so this is open for discussion)
  3. J.M Active Member

Thank you for such a quick response Bitmap!
    J.M
  4. Callaina Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris
    Facile intellectu is good. Perhaps simplicissimum would also work, and carry some connotation of "elementary", though it doesn't seem to be used chiefly in this "easy to understand" sense (to be fair, neither originally did "elementary".)

Elementarium is attested, but rare.