News (Ancient) Emperor Constantine's giant finger found in the Louvre

By Bestiola, in 'Latin Culture', Jun 2, 2018.

1. Bestiola Speculatrix

• Praetor
    • Praeco
    Ancient object—initially believed to be a toe—perfectly fits the hand of ancient bronze statue in Rome's Musei Capitolini

[IMG]

A bronze index finger in the Louvre, which was initially believed to be a toe, has been revealed to be the index finger of a colossal bronze statue of Emperor Constantine in the Musei Capitolini in Rome.
    Fragments of the 12m-high, early fourth-century bronze statue of Emperor Constantine are among the most valuable bronzes in the Capitolini's collection. They include a huge head, a sphere, a left forearm and hand, which is missing the palm (that held the sphere), part of its middle finger and most of its index finger. Twelfth century archives also mention a huge crown that is lost.
    https://www.theartnewspaper.com/news/emperor-constantine-s-finger-found-in-the-louvre
    Hawkwood, Godmy, Adrian and 2 others like this.
  2. Imperfacundus Reprobatissimus

• Civis Illustris
    Lol. I've seen both and never realized that myself.
    Bestiola and Pacifica like this.
  3. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    That's a funny story. For some reason, this sentence in particular made me smile:
  4. Godmy A Monkey

• Civis Illustris
    So Constantine showed us the finger? : P
  5. Imperfacundus Reprobatissimus

• Civis Illustris
    A colossal one, too. Legend says it was meant for the remaining pagans of Rome.
    Godmy likes this.
  6. Godmy A Monkey

• Civis Illustris
    lol :D