eoque nomine C.T. ut spero

By Subcontrary, in 'Latin to English Translation', Jul 10, 2019.

1. Subcontrary New Member

Hello! The entirety of the passage is "Oro igitur, Clementissime Princeps, qua possum animi subiectione, ut hoc munusculum chartaceum, materiam quandam non ubique obviam, eoque nomine C.T. ut spero, non ingratam, continens, serena fronte a me accipere, meque sua clementia complecti non dedignetur."

I have rendered it: "Therefore I pray, to the degree that I can through the submission of my spirit, that the Most Merciful Prince accept from me the paper of this small gift, -- containing some material not everywhere obvious, and in that name with time as I hope, not unpleasant -- with a serene countenance, and that he not disdain to embrace me in his mercy."

The bold part I am stymied by. According to wiktionary, C.T. among German universities stood for "cum tempore," and indicated "that an event will begin later than scheduled." This passage was written by a member of a German university, but still, what could he be saying??
  2. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    This is vocative. You've translated it as if it were nominative.
    Rather "with what submission of spirit I can". Qua agrees with subiectione.
    "This small paper gift/this small gift made of paper."
    The sense is more like "not to be found everywhere".
    Cum tempore is unlikely to be what is meant here.

Clementiae Tuae, maybe?

Eo nomine here = "for that reason".

Where does the text come from? Can you provide some context as to what it says before this sentence?
    Last edited by Pacifica, Jul 10, 2019
    Gregorius Textor likes this.
  3. Subcontrary New Member

Thank you for your assistance, Pacifica! The text is from the end of the preface of the Daemonomania Pistoriana, the entirety of which I shudder to think how much more quickly you could translate than me! I wish I could give you a page number, but none are forthcoming, either from the document itself or from Google's data, but it's at the end of the italicized section. Hopefully the context might be of use!

By the way, where else might I find "eo nomine" to mean "for that reason?" I have found it only in legal contexts, meaning more literally "by that name."
  4. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    I think C.T. stands for Celsitudini Tuae. I found this phrase written in full once in the text (well, in the reverse order, Tuae Celsitudini), and C.T. several times after that.

Regarding eo nomine, you can find similar examples here:
    http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus:text:1999.04.0059:entry=nomen
    Bitmap likes this.