et ducit mundum per lucem

By Garhett Varin, in 'Latin to English Translation', Dec 19, 2018.

1. Garhett Varin New Member

et ducit mundum per lucem

This is a song title from the band "Angels and Airwaves", although they incorrectly used "luce" in the original song. Correctly stated, what is the translation of this? I have heard what it is roughly, but wanted a better understanding from educated people. So thank you in advance.
  2. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    It translates to "and he (or "she" or even "it", depending on context) leads the world through light".
  3. Garhett Varin New Member

Thank you very much. If I wanted to change the phrase to "lead the world through light" (as in I am currently leading, not past tense), what would that look like?
  4. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Do you mean "(I) lead the world through light" rather than "lead the world through light" as a command?
  5. Garhett Varin New Member

Sorry, that was confusing on my part. I want it to be "lead the world through light", as a command. I just wanted to know if there was a difference in "lead" as opposed to "leads". Thank you.
  6. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Yes, there is a difference.

"Lead the world through light" = duce mundum per lucem if the command is to one person; ducite instead of duce if it's addressing a group.
    Garhett Varin likes this.
  7. Garhett Varin New Member

Thank you so much for the help Pacifica!
  8. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    No problem.
  9. Dantius Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris
    Why not the more classical duc?
  10. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Why not indeed.