"Every telescope has its sky"

By Rudy, in 'English to Latin Translation', Sep 13, 2017.

1. Rudy New Member

Hello, I would like to know the translation of "every telescope has its sky". Or the latin phrase that conveys the message best. It means that every telescope, small or large, has its range of objects best viewed with that size. Sometimes you need a big telescope to view small and faint objects, but larger and brighter objects look much better with a small telescope. So, every telescope has its sky.
  2. Rudy New Member

It occured to me that the word 'telescope' is not that old, but there is literature in Latin about it. Written early 17th century, shortly after the invention of the telescope. Described as "telescopium", "telescopii", or "telescopio". An alternative could be the sentence: "for every sky, there is a telescope", or something similiar. Your thoughts and ideas are greatly appreciated!
  3. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Using the Neo-Latin word you suggested:

Suum cuique telescopio caelum.
  4. Rudy New Member

Thank you for your help, but is there another way to translate it? Because "suum cuique" reminds me too much of the German: "Jedem das Seine". It is connected to WW2 and the Holocaust, I would like to avoid that.
  5. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Hmm... Maybe you could say this, then:

Omni telescopio caelum est.

"For every telescope, there is a sky" or "every telescope has a sky".
    Rudy likes this.
  6. Rudy New Member

Although I'm not very familiar with Latin, just knowing some words, but I like that. Thank you! Without going in too much detail, can you tell me why there are different words for "telescope", like 'telescopium" or "telescopio"? Is it just because they had to find a new word for it after the invention and different people came up with different words?
  7. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    In fact, telescopium and telescopio are the same word, but in two different cases (grammatical forms). In Latin, words change endings depending on the grammatical function they have in a sentence.
  8. Rudy New Member

Ok, so that explains it.

Again, thank you for your help, well appreciated!
  9. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    You're welcome.