Everything happens for a reason

By owaind, in 'English to Latin Translation', Aug 26, 2011.

1. owaind New Member

Hi

I'm looking to get a tattoo in latin meaning everything happens for a reason.

So far i've had the translation omnia causa fiunt but aesthetically for the tattoo i was hoping for something which has more than 3 words. Would 'omnia de causa fiunt' work? Or does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance
  2. socratidion Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    This has been discussed before, most recently here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11818

I'll summarize: 'nil fit sine causa' means 'nothing happens without a cause', and it seems to have been an oft-repeated maxim in the ancient world. In modern times it has been taken up as a reassuring motto about the ultimate meaningfulness of life despite loss and sadness. The ancients probably didn't quite use it that way, but perhaps that doesn't matter.

I am not convinced about either 'omnia causa fiunt' or 'omnia de causa fiunt'. Maybe if you added an adjective: omnia certa de causa fiunt, or omnia quadam de causa fiunt, the first confident and assertive -- a definite reason, the second a bit vaguer: 'some reason'.
  3. owaind New Member

Thanks for your prompt response. I think im going to go with 'omnia quadam de causa fiunt'.

Just to confirm, does this mean that everything happens for some reason but not a definite reason?

Sorry to be a pain but what translation would you use for 'live without regrets, everything happens for a reason'

Thanks again.
  4. socratidion Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    The 'quadam' makes it a reason that is definite, and real, but I am not specifying what it is. I would say 'for a certain reason', as long as you don't get confused with 'certain' in the sense of 'reliable/sure'.

'ne quid te paeniteat' would mean, don't regret anything. I believe I've seen 'vive sine paenitentia' suggested for 'live with no regrets', but you would only choose that if it was important to you to phrase it exactly like the English.

Joining the two together, you might want to connect them with enim (=for/because): ne quid te paeniteat; omnia enim quadam de causa fiunt. Or 'nam': nam omnia quadam de causa fiunt.

My imperious son is demanding bedtime stories...
  5. Matthaeus Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris
    ... or nihil te paenitaet for brevity
  6. Bitmap Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    I completely agree with you there. I think the 'frequently requested translations' could do with some updating, but I may have mentioned that before.
  7. Cinefactus Censor

• Censor
    That would be your post Bitmap ;) You are welcome to update that, or any other of the translations there.

(I have actually already included the discussion from this thread in it.)
  8. Bitmap Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    I know, but it's 3 years old and I simply gathered the most frequent answers in there, even though I could never really bring myself to like them. I've always argued that nihil fit sine causa was the easiest and best way to translate it, and I've always felt that quadam should be in there if you want to translate it directly.