Exercises in writing Latin ...with answers!

By Corax, in 'Latin Language Resources', Aug 19, 2011.

1. Corax New Member

I hope this is the right forum for my question; if not, humble apologies!

I am trying to learn Latin, using the Cambridge course, and am finding it enjoyable and satisfying. Fortunately for me, I did study some Latin in the past so the grammar was not totally unfamiliar to me.

But I would welcome the chance to learn to write Latin as well as translate from it. I have had a look on Amazon for suitable books but most of them seem very old and lack answers. Answers are a must as I am learning on my own. Does anyone have any useful suggestions as to the best books - if any still exist?

Many thanks for any ideas!

Corax
  2. Quasus Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Adler’s A Practical Grammar supplies a good deal of useful turns of speech (starting from how to say ‘a lot of/a little of’, ‘more of… than’). Bradley’s Arnold is a well-known manual of Latin composition. I think you can find a copy at Google Books. I’ll attach the key.

Attached Files:

3. socratidion Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    I'll go on record here as saying that the best Latin course for adults by far is Jones/Sidwell Reading Latin. (If anyone wants to dispute that, we can take it to a different topic.) It comes in two volumes, and an answer key is published in a third volume. Despite being designed mainly to get you reading, as the title implies, there is a good deal of exercise work in writing.

What I don't know is how well it works for someone learning on their own. I'm speaking from the point of view of the teacher.
  4. Corax New Member

Thank you both for your advice; I will try to track down the books you recommend. Also - especial thanks for providing the link to the answers -very useful when you are studying alone!

Corax
  5. Matthaeus Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris
    Actually, mi Quaſe, I could not find the correſponding 1938 Arnold on Google. Is it even available there? Thanks for helping!
  6. Bestiola Speculatrix

• Praetor
    • Praeco
  7. Quasus Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    My Arnold is a bit older than 1938, but I think the text is the same. Now I remember I had problems searching for it. Here it is:
    http://depositfiles.com/files/gg84i6tuz

The recent edition must be nimium copyrighted. :D BTW, older books seem prettier to me. Besides, there are macrons in the new book, but I hate the i-u-v spelling system.
  8. rainbeams New Member

What about Lingua Latina? Is it any good for studying alone? Latin books are hardly available in my country. I just got a bookstore to import Lingua Latina: Pars I: Familia Romana (Pt. 1) and Lingua Latina: Pars I--Exercitia Latina I for me, only to realise that there are no answers. (Am obviously not very good with online browsing.) Someone just told me about Lingua Latina Per Se Illustrata: Teachers' Materials & Answer Keys for Pars I & II. Should I get this in from abroad as well?

There's also a possibility of me getting hold of a copy of Wheelock's Latin. I remember finding Wheelock's technical, unwieldy, and reader-unfriendly, though.

Should I just make do with Wheelock's, or spend more to bring the teacher's guide to Lingua Latina in? Which would be more useful, you think?
  9. Manus Correctrix QVAE CORRIGIT

• Civis Illustris
    I actually bought this from Amazon recently, but then they wrote to me saying that the bag containing my parcel was scanned leaving New York, but not when the plane reached Australia. Maybe the baggage handlers made off with it. Amazon said they didn’t have another copy to send, so I got a refund. :-/
  10. Bestiola Speculatrix

• Praetor
    • Praeco
  11. Quasus Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    You can also try to find and download an (illegal :eek:) scan. ;)
  12. Manus Correctrix QVAE CORRIGIT

• Civis Illustris
    :pirateship:

I’ve done a lot of piracy in my time, Cap’n Quasus, but since I’ve started to be flooded with interpreting jobs (getting those extra qualifications was the best thing I ever did!) I’ve been getting quite a buzz out of actually being able to throw hundreds of dollars at stuff I don’t 100% need, without needing to check my bank balance to see if I can still pay the rent. A proper grown-up job after all these years of being a penniless international adventurer! Phew! :clapping:
  13. Quasus Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Then I’m happy for you! [IMG]
  14. rainbeams New Member

Rats, Cursor, if you had managed to get that book then you might be able to tell me more.

Anyone here have any idea whether that book's worth getting, or should I just make do with Wheelock?
  15. Claudilla Active Member

Salvete: I bought the 2006 edition of Bradley's Arnold but I'd love a copy of the 1938 or older, as I heard it is superior. Does anyone have a copy I might borrow?