Favorite Latin Dictionary

By brenton, in 'Latin Language Resources', Oct 16, 2016.

1. brenton New Member

Do you have a favorite online English/Latin dictionary you use most often? If so, which one?

Thank you
  2. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    brenton likes this.
  3. gedwimere Active Member

Last edited by gedwimere, Oct 16, 2016
  4. Cinefactus Censor

• Censor
    As long as you check the back translation, Whitaker's Words is very quick to look up.
    MeaLesbia likes this.
  5. Abbatiſſæ Scriptor Senex

• Civis Illustris
    o_O
  6. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    What, do "A Copious and Critical English-Latin Dictionary" and "A Copious and Critical English-Latin Lexicon" not look similar in name to you?
  7. Abbatiſſæ Scriptor Senex

• Civis Illustris
    Diſturbingly ſimilaro_O but I do tend to rely on Smith & Hall.
  8. Aurifex Aedilis

• Aedilis
    I've mentioned and cited Riddle and Arnold's lexicon several times, I think. That and Smith's dictionary are both useful. I suspect more comprehensive English-Latin dictionaries than these will never be written.

I've got an early 18th century Sallust that once belonged to Arnold.
    Lysandra and Godmy like this.
  9. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Oh, sorry; somehow I thought your "confused" face was for Gedwimere calling them "similar in name", rather than for the similarity itself.
  10. Big Horn Member

At the beginning of the preface to Smith & Hall the authors quickly dismiss Riddle and Arnold. That, along with the almost identical names, makes me wonder if there was something deeper and more personal.

I have only used Smith & Hall, which I own, so I'm unable to comment further.