Favorite period, favorite emperor, favorite person

By meisenimverbis, in 'Latin Culture', Jun 9, 2019.

1. Dantius Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris
    Yeah, and later 1st century (post-Augustus), so folks like Persius, Lucan, Petronius
    meisenimverbis likes this.
  2. meisenimverbis Active Member

It wasn't (completely) their fault... Frontiers were a mess... Gallienus and Domitius had to face Gallic and Palmyrene empires... But true, there wasn't much they did but fighting and being killed by the Pretorian Guard for succession. :think:
    Pacifica likes this.
  3. meisenimverbis Active Member

(I never paid attention to Persius... I'll take a look.)
  4. meisenimverbis Active Member

Numbers: 211

I just read "211 messages" (above, right side, beside the paenulatus "gaius" that I use for avatar...).

211 in a Latin forum (even if not, I guess... but even more here) is an imediate association: Caracalla! (Actually, his father's death...) Although for him it would be the year of Terentius and Bassus, Terentio et Basso consulibus, and the 964th of the foundation of the city (or CMLXIV, or maybe DCCCCLXIV ab urbe condĭta)...

(I've been trying to get used to the dates a.u.c., but the a.D. are still more familiar to me... And to get used not to call Caracalla by this name, but to treat him as Antoninus. ;) )
  5. Adrian Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Favorite period - II century (military, territorial and civilisational peak of Roman Empire IMO - Trajan, Hadrian, Marcus Aurelius)

Favorite Emperor - Augustus (architect of Pax Romana, initiated administrative and legislative reforms, patron of art; took care of roman military; laid fundaments for later expansion in I-II century)

Favorite Person - Seneca the Younger
    meisenimverbis likes this.